Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Trebah Gardens

Falmouth

a Seaside Town in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A week in South West and Warwickshire too

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Colin Lucre
Colin Lucre
quotePosted at 23:11 on 27th October 2012

Hi Everyone

My wife and two teenage daughters are travelling around the southwest of England then coming over toward the middle. We wanted to get two bases- hotel or serviced apartment for 4 days and 3 days and use our hire car to visit Cornwell, Devon, Dorset, Wales , Stonehenge, Oxford, Cambridge, Stratford on Avon and a lot of places inbetween. My thinking, after some research ,was to use Bristol as a base for the Sth West and Warwick as the base for the middle.

I figured that being a University town Bristol would have a greater selection of Cafes, Restaurants and  night spots than smaller towns.

Warwick was chosen based on centrality and on the castle.  It has been more than 30 years since I last travelled england so your advice is much appreciated.

Regards from Australia

Colin

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:10 on 28th October 2012

Hi to Colin and family, welcome to POE from Anna and Ron.

Good luck in planning your vacation. I see 12 people have looked at this thread already without actually responding, and I have to say I am not really surprised because it's a case of 'how long have you got' so I will try to keep it short.

Have you forgotten how long it takes to get from A to B here? Your proposed itinerary looks impressive, but I think you are going to struggle to get it all done in a week.

As a point on the map so to speak, then yes Bristol will be okay for the south west, but I don't think you will find it quite the vibrant City that you expect it to be (a personal opinion). Warwick gives you easy access to the Motorways in all directions including Oxford where I am. I really think you are attempting too much (unless you are going to kit the family out with skate boards, or roller skates)! I believe you will be completely exhausted, thus not a relaxing vacation if you attempt what you suggest, but hey good luck!

As for accommodation well you could save yourself ££££'s by booking securely online through this site. See the green box top left of the page titled 'England Hotels & Accommodation'. Click on any of those links to search out something that suits you, book online, get it cheaper than going direct and earn a small commission to help support this website if you do.

Hopefully members will give you their opinion to help you decide, but I think you are trying to do too much, in too short a time.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 09:40 on 28th October 2012

Hi Colin, I got to agree with Ron I think you will miss anawful lot if you try to cram all that into just 7 days. Even traveling from the North of England, where I am, I would expect to need the best part of 7 days alone just to see parts of Devon and Cornwall followed by a similar time to do Oxford Cambridge and Stratford.....and we haven't got into Wales yet. But do consider Rons suggestion to book accommodation through POE save yourself money, and earn a bit for the site at the same time..Good Luck

A few typo's corrected, I think Dave had been on the nectar! lol 

Also my fingers and brain have a time lapse ??Undecided

Edited by: Dave John at:4th November 2012 10:01
 Please login to post to this thread...