Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The harbour at Falmouth, Cornwall

Falmouth

a Seaside Town in the county of Cornwall

Astley Hall, Astley Park, Chorley, Lancashire

Chorley

in the county of Lancashire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Upload limit now increased to 5MB

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 00:41 on 18th November 2007

I don't know how many of you have to resize their pictures before they upload them to the site, but the upload limit has now been raised from 4MB to 5MB as a user was having trouble uploading her pictures and we discovered it was because of this limit.

I think the new limit of 5MB is now even on a par with flickr, unless they've changed the limit since I last visited the site? Anyway, we hope you find the increase useful! It would be interesting to know what size your pictures are when they come off the camera, and if you have to resize them or not before uploading them to the site. Many thanks for any information.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 18:52 on 22nd August 2008
I've always resized my images to 1000 pixels (on the largest size).  My old Fuji used to produce massive file sizes, but I have to admit that I never use a digi camera at less than its maximum setting.
Steve WillimottPremier Member - Click for more info
Steve Willimott
quotePosted at 16:15 on 13th January 2009
My old camera produced pics between 800K and 2.1Meg depending on the amount of detail, (Nikon Coolscan 2000) which I posted as they were, my new Nikon P60 produces files between 3.8Meg and 5.6Meg, which I reduce before uploading. Like Alan I always use the maximum setting, you can always reduce a picture, but you can't regain lost data, so get what you can when you can.
lurkalot
lurkalot
quotePosted at 16:59 on 13th January 2009

Think my 30D produces jpg's around 3.5mb, and RAW files around 8mb.

You should always optimise them for viewing on the web, unless you're uploading them for people to download / print etc. (or should I say, steal and print at full quality). Wink   

Also, remember some people still have slow dial up connections, and it would be painfully slow waiting for the pages / images to show on screen.   The images I upload are normally around 800 to 900 (image size) pixels across, and under 150kb in size (file size).  

Please login to post to this thread...