Lyme Regis

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

Freeport Shopping Village

Fleetwood

in the county of Lancashire

Arbroath

Arbroath

in the county of Angus

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Sell Your Photos! On poe's new sister site!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Beth Austin
Beth Austin
Posted at 21:40 on 7th February 2011

I think this is a great idea, and the timing is right to reap the benefits of presenting it in the manner you have. This site should do quite well, and I say this because, as a member of the South Shields Photographic Society, we have a site similar to this one and it does quite well because we allow anyone to View the pics, but, no one can download the pics without permission, etc etc. thus protecting the photographer, club, and any other concerns.

The quality of photos here are excellent but more importantly, they are varied, and that is important for people looking to purchase pictures to use for their own purposes, i.e.  family, geneology, special interests, educational etc. I think this new site has come about at a great time, as experience has already shown me thru the photo club, that people are definitely out there looking for these types of photos AND willing to pay a reasonable price for them.

Suggestion:  I think I would watermark all the photos with a logo etc or something that prohibits the copy of the photo OR the theft of the photo from the site, as I do know there are people who are quite knowledgeable on the removal of these logos etc. ( I was intrigued at how they did this, but concerned ALOT by it). Just a suggestion for thoughts...but I do believe this site will do quite well....now & in the future. It has longevitity !

Good Luck and am glad to see this site's birth and evolving.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
Posted at 21:47 on 7th February 2011

This question has already been raised Shaun and the truthful answer is I can't and shouldn't tell you what price to charge.

However, the new website will ask you to work between various parameters. If the price works for you then fine, if not then reduce the price. In any case you will see there are various options.

You can edit all of your input at anytime, and once your pictures are on POE you will get huge exposure because Chris and Sarah will advertise the new website on POE and produce a direct link to your pictures, which can then be purchased and downloaded to the buyer immediately, thus avoiding any missed deadlines.

They (POE) take care of all sales, with records available that you can access at anytime.

Give it a go Shaun and don't worry if you make a mistake anywhere because you will be able to rectify it very easily.

As a matter of interest, before I loaded my pictures I looked at other sites, as well as other members prices and tried to apply a price that I thought was appropriate. For example I value some shots more than others because they are less known, or less seen perhaps.

Hope this helps Shaun, but if not get back to me, either via the forum or the POE contact facility.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
Posted at 21:51 on 7th February 2011

Thanks for your input Beth it is very much appreciated.

However, you say>>>Suggestion:  I think I would watermark all the photos with a logo etc

Pictures with watermarks will not be accepted, but rest assured the image cannot be copied from the new website.

Shaun Wilson
Shaun Wilson
Posted at 21:51 on 7th February 2011
WILL DO Mr Ron thanks Laughing
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
Posted at 23:49 on 7th February 2011

Hello,

Thank you to everyone for their valued feedback and for all your questions and general interest and support with the new site.

Regarding price. Ron pretty much covered the questions about this as it really is down to the individual to determine the price they want to put on their images. There are so many factors involved, such as image quality, the uniqueness of the shot, what others are charging (which can vary wildly when looking at what other websites charge) and other factors and attributes.  I know this is not much help right now, but until we've started to sell a few images and get some first hand experience of the market, we really can't give you much guidance on what to charge for your own images.

Regarding copyright - Apart from the thumbnail samples of each image on the new site, all the other images on public display have a copyright watermark in order to protect your images from theft and missuse. We have also disabled right-clicking in Internet Explorer as an extra measure in protecting them.

Again, thanks for your interest and support!

Chris & Sarah

Edited by: poe at:8th February 2011 17:49
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
Posted at 04:20 on 8th February 2011
On 7th February 2011 18:15, cathyml wrote:

Now for a really dumb question - once paid for is the pic downloaded to my computer for printing?  And if this is so, the measurements don't fit normal A4/letter paper, they are all too big!  Does the price given refer to all sizes listed?

The problem isn't all too big, but in aspect ratio; most Dslr sensors have an aspect ratio of 3:2. ( Olympus/Panasonic prefer 4:3). Thus 3:2 isn't going to print fully on A4 or 8 x 10 paper; it would if the paper were 8 x 12.

My D3 has the option to take photos at 5:4 which is useful to print the image at 8 x 10. So, that's your basic problem Cathy; camera makers and paper makers all have their own ideas or standards on aspect ratios. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:8th February 2011 07:48
cathyml
cathyml
Posted at 05:13 on 8th February 2011

Thanks Paul - now that makes sense. 

Would you happen to know, if you want to print this pic you have downloaded, and you instruct the printer to fit the image to the page, would this spoil the quality of the pic?

I know my computer cannot cope with the large sizes, as my son downloaded some of his pics from his camera to my computer at Christmas time, and none of my graphic programmes could handle the size. (He has since found a way of saving them or downloading them in a smaller format though).

Thanks again for your explanation Paul

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
Posted at 08:11 on 8th February 2011

It depends on the photo Cathy you downloaded; it's size and resolution.

If it's a reasonable size like towards what it came off the camera, and a resolution of 300ppi, on A4 shouldnt be a problem bar the longer sides will have a bit of white left over not used. If you took it to a photo lab to print to say 8 x 10, then a bit either end of the longer side of the photo will be cut off---as mentioned above, it would be looking for 8 x 12 to fit it all in a photo print. 

My photos on here are all 72 ppi ( pixels per inch) as that's all you need really for viewing on a monitor. My photos on the new site are all 300 ppi for they well might be used in print, and should print very well up to 9 1/2 by 14 inches photographically, and you should still get a nice inkjet print up to A3 as well. 

cathyml
cathyml
Posted at 08:48 on 8th February 2011

Great news!  Thanks Paul

I think my printer can cope with borderless printing, so if I print it on photographic paper I should get a really great pic. That is something to look forward to!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
Posted at 10:41 on 8th February 2011

Thanks Paul......... and also to those who have responded thus far.

Notice the list of photographers on the new site is growing, as are the photographs of course! Well done, keep them coming please.

Why not check out the new Photo Stock Britain website at the following link:

http://www.photostockbritain.com/index.php