Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Sell Your Photos! On poe's new sister site!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
Posted at 15:06 on 1st April 2011

If you go to the RIAT website for their Fairford airshow, lots to look at but at the bottom is their Terms and Conditions link and amongst their condtions of entry, this paragraph appears some aviation enthusiasts have found of its existance the hard way------

The Ticket Holder shall not without the Organisers’ prior written consent sell, license, or otherwise exploit, or attempt to exploit, any material whether written or in the form of digital or photographic film, sound, video or other recording or computer software obtained or made at the Showground.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Stephen
Stephen
Posted at 08:43 on 3rd April 2011
I wonder, has anyone actually sold any photos on photostock?
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
Posted at 09:43 on 3rd April 2011

Don't know the answer to that yet Stephen, but the site is very new and I know that Chris and Sarah are still adding photographs, so hang on in there buddy.

Lets hope it sells plenty because POE needs the financial support, be it from the sale of photographs, or donations from the members....no matter how small.

Sally Birch
Sally Birch
Posted at 10:07 on 3rd April 2011
I agree Ron, there are a lot of "big boys" out there but with the support of the many loyal POE members it shouldnt take too long for the site to grow.  Personally I am more interested in helping POE that earning funds for myself. I've been browsing POE and there are thousands of suitable pics which could be uploaded to the site, I supose one of the main questions is have the owners saved high quality JPEG versions of them.
Stephen
Stephen
Posted at 10:45 on 3rd April 2011
On 3rd April 2011 09:43, Ron Brind wrote:

Don't know the answer to that yet Stephen, but the site is very new and I know that Chris and Sarah are still adding photographs, so hang on in there buddy.

Being my biggest critic I am very dubious as to whether anyone would want to buy any of mine !
I did mention this to Chris but he seemed to be optimistic.

Edited by: Stephen at:3rd April 2011 10:45
cathyml
cathyml
Posted at 11:01 on 3rd April 2011

Stephen I just took a look at your pics here on POE, particularly your highest rated ones, just to get an idea of what POE members had thought of them, and judging by the number of comments attached to many of your pictures I wouldn't think you have a problem.

I did notice, however, that you love to photograph buildings (and may I say what a good eye you have for angles) and after having read the comments above about various buildings and rights to photographs, it might be as well to check if any of these restrictions would affect your pictures.

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
Posted at 23:12 on 3rd April 2011
         Having followed this thread I too have come to be concerned about which photos will be safe to sell on the sister site, thanks Sally for the e-mail & contents that confirms what I assumed by and large of taking photographs but there are still questions about what is allowed for sale. Thanks to Paul for drawing our attention to this issue in the first place, as an amateur this is new territory and one does not want to get into hot water. Cathyml has just said about buildings, does the restrictions apply for instance to a stately home or castle that charges an entrance fee but the picture is taken from outside the property boundaries? Also, National Trust gets it's name mentioned here a bit, what about NT areas such as countryside or coastline that they manage when there is or is not stuctures in the photo. Isn't life difficult these days, all we want to do is give others the pleasure of seeing our pics(well the better ones) and raise some pennies for POE .
Sally Birch
Sally Birch
Posted at 13:25 on 4th April 2011

I'v had a little chat with someone who sells quite a lot of images via the internet and he tells me that there is a huge demand for images  that fall into the category "could have been taken anywhere"  and providing they do not contain recognisable people they are a safe bet. Another category is WILD or TAKEN IN YOUR OWN BACK YARD flora and fauna. I supose still life, providing it doesnt include branded items would also be OK.  It also seems OK in most cases to take images from the street but there do seem to be some exceptions like the Royal Parks so perhaps better to check, if in doubt ask.

At present I do not intend to include images taken anywhere that I have had to pay an entrance fee including pics taken in zoos etc. or of recognisable people. The same goes for anything to do with law enforcement, the armed forced or buildings  related to National Security and National Trust os also out.

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
Posted at 15:37 on 4th April 2011
I am to the legal profession, what a Vindaloo Curry is to subtle cuisine, but would I be correct in an assumption that POE / Photo Stock Britain will take a look at what it's offering for sale as well as us "camera artisans"?  Taking into account all the good advice proffered in this thread already, I agree we need to progress with caution, not taking pictures within areas we've paid to enter etc. I made the point in an earlier post that The National Trust properties have been photographed commercially many times and maybe any buyers requiring such images, would not perhaps look to POE. What we can do, is provide images that have appeal, show good technique and a novel approach to our green and pleasant land. Also, I'll be providing informative captions, as much for PSB as any prospective buyers.    
Returning to my initial point, Photo Stock Britain has the right to decline any of our images for reasons of quality and also anything deemed unsuitable for whatever reason. Maybe I'm being too simplistic. I wish the new venture all the very best and maybe, just maybe, I'll be lucky and sell an image or two. Now that would be great!

Sally Birch
Sally Birch
Posted at 17:01 on 5th April 2011
Rod, I emailed Chris and Sarah a few days ago to ask if it was their intention to add advice on the legal suitability of images offered for sale on the website. Looking at some of the larger sites they all seem to offer this type of information but then leave it to the phototrapher to make the decisions. I'm sure Chris and Sarah will get back to me and of course inform us all when they have decided if they intend to add a document of this type. I will be very suprised if Chris and Sarah decide to monitor the images we upload from the legal point of view to my mind this is clearly the responsibility of the photographer.