Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Bandstand at Gorleston

Gorleston-on-Sea

in the county of Norfolk

Across the Fleet Lagoon

Langton Herring

in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Local images against well known beauty spots

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:58 on 12th April 2014

Been batting on about always carry a camera of some sorts with you at all times James- Lesson Learnt I do reckon.

Thanks for all the good wishes for the weekend folks- trouble is weekends do not start until six o'clock on a Saturday- feel a bit diddled but then I suppose I get a Wednesday instead.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:17 on 12th April 2014
Whats happening Vince this weekend Vince---fill me in.Smile
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:22 on 12th April 2014
  Well tomorrow will be Jobs/Jobs  and jobs, got to catch up on a few that have been slipping for a while. None too major what I call a pottering day. But the camera will be at hand- as I got in tonight there was a fox having a sniff around but tking photos whilst driving is not to be reccomended.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:31 on 12th April 2014
Thought you were going away mate--enjoy your weekendSmile
Martin Humphreys
Martin Humphreys
quotePosted at 08:05 on 13th April 2014

Like you Vince I too sometimes take my old pocket camera with me when out on my bike Sunday mornings & as James found out ..it always pays to have one with you, as you never know what you will come across & sod's law dictates you will miss that special shot if you don't ? 

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 08:12 on 13th April 2014
As the very old saying goes, "the best camera is the one you have with you".  I've lost count of the great pictures caught only by my retinas! 

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:13th April 2014 10:41
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:00 on 13th April 2014
  My other gripe is yes I have my camera bag with me ( that means the DSLR and a bridge) and another bag with compact camera which goes with the wallet and that one is always there and you see many shot there for the taking---- BUT you are driving and there is nowwhere to pull over and no chance to go back !!!   Hate missing those shots but what can you do? Exception to what I have just said is the ice formation I went back and forth to get parked, got the shot, put it on POE and it had melted by the next day !!
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 13:37 on 14th April 2014

Perhaps another argument for taking local images is that because the view is familiar, you have to work harder to make it interesting. It will make the photographer look for different views of the same scene, in different lighting, different weather conditions (mist, snow, rain etc), different seasons, time of day etc. There is even more scope if the view includes water, to include different river levels, state of the sea, etc.

Often a mundane view can be transformed by a chance combination of conditions. This justifies the policy of always carrying a camera !

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 18:00 on 14th April 2014

It’s a very good point Edward about looking for something “different” in the familiar. I tend to be so familiar with my local area that I just don’t see an awful lot I should. One early and cold winter morning I emerged from the newsagents with my papers, and noticed the hue in the sky causing the weather cock on the old brewery building to stand out rather attractively, almost in silhouette. I had my camera in the car and took a couple of shots, one of which I submitted to POE ref 1166883. In truth, all of my Gateacre shots were taken just because I live there and thus see the village in many different conditions and, had I been visiting, would probably have not have captured any of them. Time and place plus a fresh eye helps. Also, I should follow my own advice more often and keep a camera in the car.  

Martin Humphreys
Martin Humphreys
quotePosted at 19:13 on 14th April 2014

Some interesting & valid points & comments. I agree totally about locations which can look totally different depending on time of day,year & weather conditions.I will often pop back to a local spot to re-take a shot on a different day, if I think the image will be improved by taking it at a different time.Always looking for perfection I guess .. but that is hard to achieve? The fields around me right now are awash with colour of the rape ... but saying that, I don't want to overdo shots of a similar theme, no matter how eye catching I think they maybe.Interesting & varied is what  I try & aim for & as I'm no professional, I get real enjoyment from seeing (hopefully) good results.