Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Downtown Barrow in Furness, Cumbria

Barrow in Furness

in the county of Cumbria

O' Neill's

St Pancras

in the county of Greater London

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Local images against well known beauty spots

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 13:01 on 29th April 2014
On 13th April 2014 22:00, Vince Hawthorn wrote:
  My other gripe is yes I have my camera bag with me ( that means the DSLR and a bridge) and another bag with compact camera which goes with the wallet and that one is always there and you see many shot there for the taking---- BUT you are driving and there is nowwhere to pull over and no chance to go back !!!   Hate missing those shots but what can you do? Exception to what I have just said is the ice formation I went back and forth to get parked, got the shot, put it on POE and it had melted by the next day !!

One way around this is to take one camera out for a walk (without even a lead)  with one lens already attached. I do this on occasion generally putting my 10-20mm or the 70-300 lens on the faithful Nikon. This make me use my mind a bit and has rewarded me with pictures I might well have taken otherwise.  
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 16:23 on 29th April 2014

I adopt a similar policy, Rod. I do not like walking out with a bagful of lenses and only take one lens out for a walk at a time. I have a number of lenses, primes and zooms, and although they are elderly like their owner, I have come to know their strengths and weaknesses.

I also agree with your point that taking out a different focal length lens from time to time can be rewarding for getting that different view which might not otherwise occur.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:39 on 29th April 2014
Taking the camera out with just a prime lens as opposed to a zoom, is an excellent way of making you look anf think more closely at what you are taking pictures of. You have to move yourself physically not simply zoom the lens. It certainly concentrates the mind on what can be achieved.  It can be done with a zoom lens but needs a lot more discipline to set the lens to a given focal length and not move it. Well worth a try for anyone who has only been brought up with zoom lenses. You will be amazed at what you can learn from this exercise. Before I went digital I never owned a zoom lens!!
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 22:15 on 29th April 2014

Using a prime lens can require more leg-work, as Dave rightly says, and it does make you think more. The advantages are that a prime lens is often two or more stops faster than a zoom, and usually has better resolution and fewer aberrations.

Having said that, modern zooms are far better than the old zooms  I remember from 30 years ago. For general walk-about use, I would not be without a zoom. However, for best quality and low-light capability, I would use a prime.

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 23:48 on 29th April 2014

Like Dave, I never had zoom lenses until my first digital camera. Prior to that I did not even own an auto focus lens, but I did have some very good prime lenses. Leg work yes, selective focus essential, but the lessons stuck and now I do switch to manual eposures and manual focus when I feel it is the best way. However, aperture priority gets a lot of use and modern zooms are rather good. 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 09:56 on 30th April 2014

I agree that modern amateur zooms are generally good, although some of the 'super-zooms' with a huge range of focal length need a lot of light and are not always sharp over their whole range. I have found that the zooms with a modest zoom ratio of around 3:1 seem to be the best.

Another feature of modern zooms is that many have image stabilisation built-in, which can make up to some extent for their need for lots of light (there are always the professional zooms, with wide apertures, which work well in low light without stabilisation, but they are beyond my reach financially).

Martin Humphreys
Martin Humphreys
quotePosted at 19:27 on 30th April 2014

More interesting points chaps. Still being fairly new to this game, I have gone (for now) down the single lens route to save time & I use mainly an 18-200mm lens for most of my shots, not 100% ideal I know but by & large I am happy with most of my results, but always looking to improve. Reading some of these threads , it is handy to see what others use & why, as most on here have far more experiance than me.I usually end up discarding about 30% of what I take once I view them on the monitor at home.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:55 on 30th April 2014
I have to say I fully endorse the modern zoom lens, even thought I 'learnt the trade' with fully manual bodies and a range of prime lenses. One day you ought to try setting a focal length, say 50mm and using great discipline just take photos at that focal length. I can assure you it will make you think and concentrate more on the image. It is a good execise for everyone to try now and again.As to your results Martin at the end of the day if you are happy with your results, and from we see on here you have every right to be, that is all that really matters. As to discarding 30% I think that is a very good shooting ratio. 
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 21:19 on 30th April 2014

More good points. Discarding the poor results is good and I do bin a lot of my stuff, but taking Raw files does mean that you can keep the equivalent of an old fashioned negative, and can return to it as often as you want, but some pictures are beyond help. 

Gentlemen, enjoy pressing the shutter as it's great fun and we are all seeking that perfect exposure. Trouble us if we ever do it, what next?  

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:26 on 30th April 2014
On 30th April 2014 21:19, Rod Burkey wrote:

Gentlemen, enjoy pressing the shutter as it's great fun and we are all seeking that perfect exposure. Trouble us if we ever do it, what next?  

Patent the process, publicise the process and sit back and let the royalties roll in Wink ...... Then wake up and get out enjoying taking photographs.