Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Athelhampton House, Dorset

Athelhampton

in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

New - Reviews on POE

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:16 on 14th July 2014
  If everyone just did one review that would soon tot up. So far the reviews have been as expected places that each of us really rate highly, do you think we will see some places that have failed to impress and be given a bad write up. Do we have to tread careful if we give a place a very detremental review and individual attractions get named ?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:20 on 14th July 2014
Don't personally see the point in being detrimental. There are other sites for that, Tripadvisor for one has its reputation built on it. Lets keep POE on the good positive side of things. Who knows .. the wrong thing about the wrong place without foundation could lead to slander and libel etc. Not worth the hassle to my mind.
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:26 on 14th July 2014

That is what I would think, lack of entry could show no one enthusiastic. 

Being more positive, must work on a few more to expand the number of entries...

Edited by: james prescott at:15th July 2014 13:10
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 13:39 on 15th July 2014

Thanks Vince, Ruth, Dave, and Edward for your fantastic reviews. It's greatly appreciated.
We have now put a 'latest reviews' link up in the main left menu so they are more accessible.

Chris & Sar 

Edited by: james prescott at:15th July 2014 14:01
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 14:05 on 15th July 2014
Thanks for that Chris & Sarah.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 17:13 on 15th July 2014

The question of whether the reviews should always be positive is much the same as the issue of comments on photos. It seems pointless commenting on anything if it is more or less normal to give 5 stars and say nothing which might seem critical.

Locations, like photos, have good and bad points. The opinions of the reviewer are their own personal views, and I would not be upset if others disagreed with my perception of a place (or a photo). The important thing is not make knowingly untrue assertions, or be abusive to any individual or organisation, which might lead to legal issues for the author or PoE itself. 

My recent review of the town of Reading is a good example. I have tried to mention the good and bad aspects of the place, hoping to find some redeeming features, but overall, I could not bring myself able to award it more than 3 stars.  Or perhaps I was over-generous?

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:03 on 15th July 2014
Your review of Reading Edward is a great example of how a review should be, good points, bad points, honest, and of course just your opinion. I've never been near Reading but I have now a good idea what the town is like. Based on your review I can easily make my decision whether to visit Reading or not. 
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:33 on 15th July 2014
 I can endorse what you have said about Reading Edward, I found the roads a bit of a pickle seeing as the previous visit would have been in the 70s. Went last year with the sole purpose of visiting the Abbey because of early family connections only to find it closed- wish your review was available last year Edward.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 01:02 on 16th July 2014

Thanks, Vince,  for that vote of approval for my review of Reading. The traffic situation was a nightmare when I first encountered it 40 years ago, and it hasn't improved since. And yes, I could have put you right about the Abbey ruins, but you got a few shots in as I remember.

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:48 on 16th July 2014
  I did indeed thank you Edward, railings are better than fences for poking a lens through.