Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Boston Stump

Boston

a Seaside Town in the county of Lincolnshire

Old Market Cross, Oswaldtwistle

Oswaldtwistle

in the county of Lancashire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Hello to all from an expat now living in the US

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Thomas Belowske
Thomas Belowske
quotePosted at 15:22 on 6th January 2010
I went home for the first time in 30 years, I couldn't believe how crowded it has become, but the one thing that has not changed is how beautiful the country still is.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 15:23 on 6th January 2010
Hi Thomas! Welcome to POE!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:56 on 6th January 2010
Welcome to POE from Anna and Ron, Thomas. Enjoy looking back via this wonderful website and forum. Good to have you aboard.
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 16:06 on 6th January 2010
Welcome to POE, Thomas!
Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 17:48 on 6th January 2010
Welcome, Thomas. Whilst you have come from England and gone to the states, I have come from the states and live here(10yrs.+). Where abouts are you at now? If you want to see true replications of Northeast England whilst in the states, head up north to UP of Michigan, Wakefield, Bessemer, Ramsay where the people living there are 1, 2 +3rd generation from northeast england, as are the homes, foods, customs/ cultures. The one big difference is the employment(NOW). The coal mines and shipbuilding that used to take place up there as primary sources of work have been closed down now and employment is scarce for many. The same hills that they used to mine, are used for the Olympic teams who participate in the ski jumping, from all over the world. They come to that location on the year prior to the Olympics, to do their time trials etc and that income is vital to the areas. Great place to visit tho. Hope you enjoy.
Thomas Belowske
Thomas Belowske
quotePosted at 19:24 on 6th January 2010
Thank you for the welcome.  I only live one state from Michigan.  I live in Illinois on the Mississippi River on the only stretch that runs east to west. It is called the Quad Cities. Between Illinois and Iowa.  I was born just outside of Norwich in a little, and I mean little village called Guist.  I spent my formative years outside of Oxford in a town called Bicester.  It took me 30 years to go back but it will not take another 30 as I plan to go back next year.
Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 00:17 on 7th January 2010

Thomas, I know exactly where each of these places are, as I used to live on the state line of Illinois/Wisconsin in what was a small town called Antioch.The Quad cities were a place we used to go to when old enough to drive and 'get out of town past the 'P's LOL....We used to do what we called ' the river run' as often as possible...lol....

Glad you have joined us here....great to have you here.

Thomas Belowske
Thomas Belowske
quotePosted at 01:22 on 7th January 2010
Where are you located at now.  I have a brother who lives in Lowestoft and works for NETRail.  I know Antioch, just north of Chicago isnt it
Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 01:30 on 7th January 2010
Hi Thomas!! Welcome to POE. Glad you could join our family. Smile
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 06:33 on 7th January 2010
Welcome to the site Thomas!