Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St Ives Harbour

St Ives

a Seaside Town in the county of Cornwall

Charlestown harbour, Cornwall

Charlestown

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Greetings From Judy in Southern California, USA

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Judy Jack
Judy Jack
quotePosted at 22:13 on 18th February 2012

Hello everyone.  I am brand new to this website and so far love it.  A friend and I are planning a cruise out of Southampton this coming October but will be visiting England for a few days before and after the cruise.  We're trying to figure out a specific region in which to visit -- considering the Southeast (Kent, for instance), but am open to any and all suggestions for a whirlwind trip!

Looking forward to searching this site for the most beautiful places to visit and interesting things to do.

Thanks to all who respond.Smile

Judy 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 01:15 on 19th February 2012

Welcome to Poe Judy;  from Southampton there's always London if you wanted to see the usual sights around Westminster and the West End north of it.

But, for other things, just up the M3 you'd soon be in Winchester and it's lovely cathedral. Carry on then up the A34 and just past Newbury onto the M4 and head west into Wiltshire. Passed Swindon on your right will be the Cotswolds and all its lovely villages. Bath isn't much furhter along and heading south out of Bath into Somerset in the Cheddar Gorge area. Then heading southeast you could aim for Dorset, a lovely county, especially the coast line, and from there, east into Hampshire and back to Southampton.

Or if you really want Kent, up the M3 to the M25 and turn right/east through Surrey, and when you hit the junction with the A21, you're well into Kent by now. But, if you went south down the A21, then left at Flimwell onto the A268,then a road left after Newenden, it'll take you to Rye in East Sussex; a lovely ancient town on the border with Kent.  Really depends what things you'd like to see over here.  What ship will you be on, as I do like going down to Hythe on Southapton Water taking pics of the liners leaving; usually late afternoon. 

Judy Jack
Judy Jack
quotePosted at 03:53 on 19th February 2012

Hello Paul, and thank you for your great input.  I've already made some reservations at the Cotswolds (Lamb Inn) and then heading down to stay for the rest of the time at a farmhouse just outside of Canterbury.  I've even rented a car to plow around in.  Will probably stay in or around London for the few days I'll be in town prior to the cruise. 

I'm taking the Celebrty Cruise ship Eclipse to the Canary Islands and The Azores.  You must live nearby Southampton?  I understand there are two ports at Southampton from which ships depart.  Do you know which one Celebrity usually leaves from?

Looking forward to more of your suggestions -- it sounds like you do quite a lot of traveling.

Take care.

Judy

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 07:53 on 19th February 2012

Hi Judy---I live about 40 miles north of Southampton. Celebrity Eclispe uses City Terminal---Southamton is a large port. She departs at the very end of Sept on a cruise that could be yours; 2 weeks later to the Med again to include Florida, and end of October back around the Meditteranean area again; France, Portugal, and Azores her typical ports of call.

Arrives at Southampton 5-50AM and departs at 4-30 PM on each of her cruises. On her 13th Oct trip, in port with her is sister Celebrity Constellation and P&O Cruises Aurora and Arcadia. Cunard's 3 Queens seem to be comming and going before/after Eclipse's visits.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:19th February 2012 07:59
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:35 on 19th February 2012

Hi Judy and welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. Seems like you are enjoying this site and forum already?

Paul has a wealth of knowledge about everything, so you are in good hands there!

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 15:10 on 19th February 2012
Welcom to POE Judy, probably the best site bar none for anything England. Not to mention all the forums including a few that we have a good banter and fun in. Feel free to join us, we are a happy crowd with one or two 'characters'........Ron being a good one to start with ! ! ! But above all enjoy the site and all the info it has to offer........Oh almost forgot......all the tremendous pictures on offer. It's along way from Southampton but my reccommendation would be The Lake District.....but it is a long way
Judy Jack
Judy Jack
quotePosted at 16:05 on 19th February 2012

Hello to all my new UK friends! Thank you for responding Paul, Ron, Anna and Dave. 

Paul, I will be on the Oct. 13 Eclipse departure.  Thank you for clarifying the terminal.  Now to find it once there Laughing.  

Dave, I absolutely love the Lake District!  Have been there in previous UK trips in the 1980s -- and remember a lovely, albeit cold, boat ride on Lake Windermere.  There's just so many things to see and visit in England that it's hard to pick one or two places for a short visit.  So much history and the very old buildings.  Amazing how wonderful it is!

I will be getting on the other forums and interacting with you all.  I'm a happy gal, and looking forward to getting to know many of you.

Thank you again for everything -- I will be picking your brains!!

Judy

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 17:06 on 19th February 2012
  Hi Judy and welcome to POE, as you can see it is a warm welcome all round. There is a wealth of info here on the site for you to scroll through, bags of pics for any places that take your fancy plus of course all the personal help from all of us in the forums ( and a little fun and banter as well) . For my part I love the land west of the Tamar known as Kernow or more commonly Cornwall, but from your plans so far I think it would be a little off of your route, should the chance arise try and see some of the land of myth and ledgend. Having said that I find my own plans this year so far will take me and my family to the Lake District and also to the Welsh Borders, both new territory for us. Whatever you plan I amsure you will have a great time, but in the mean time do spend some extra time here on POE, that you will definately enjoy.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 17:16 on 19th February 2012

Judy, you'll find City Terminal info here; berth 101 for Celebrity Eclipse. If driving down the M3, its signposted Southampton/Docks and a straight road into S'Hampton and when you can't go no further south, turn right which then follows the docks and Gates 8 or 10 for City Terminal parking. Looks like you're haing 3 holidays rolled into one which I'm sure you'll enjoy.

http://www.abparking.co.uk/directions/city_cruise_terminal

Judy Jack
Judy Jack
quotePosted at 18:17 on 19th February 2012

Thank you so much Paul and Vince -- very useful information indeed.  I don't know what either of you do for a living, but certainly Tour Guide would be something I would guess!  At least for the POE site.  Everyone has been very welcoming and helpful. 

Just made reservations at the Doubletree Hotel Westminster in London for the three days prior to sailing.  Don't know anything about the area (safety, that is), but hopefully it will be close to the British Museum and other notable sites in London.  I'll be checking this site for specifics.

Thanks again to all for your help and wishes.  Looking forward to interacting with you much more in the days and months ahead.

Judy