Brightlingsea

a Seaside Town in the county of Essex

Start Point Lighthouse, Devon

Hallsands

in the county of Devon

Eves Corner, Danbury, Essex

Danbury

in the county of Essex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

rail to Moreton-in-Marsh, direct or with changes?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Janet Doyle
Janet Doyle
quotePosted at 01:06 on 24th August 2012
We will be travelling to Moreton-in-Marsh via train, after arriving at Heathrow, on Dec. 22, 2012.  Is the rail service from Paddington direct or does it involve any train changes?  I don't find the website for First Great Western Railway clear on this, as another forum elsewhere implied there were one or two changes on the way...  We will presumably have to get to Paddington from Heathrow first.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 02:00 on 24th August 2012

There is a direct service from Paddington to Moreton-in-Marsh. The National Rail Enquiries site may be more useful than First Great Western.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/index.html

You could also pick up the train to Moreton-in-Marsh at Reading instead of Paddington, using the Rail-Air coach service from Heathrow to Reading. This might reduce your total journey time.

http://www.railair.com/

Hope this helps, and hope you enjoy your visit to England. 

Janet Doyle
Janet Doyle
quotePosted at 02:30 on 24th August 2012
Thank you so much, this seems a great forum, rather detailed and different from some of the other travel forums...  it will be enjoyable to participate.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:43 on 24th August 2012

Well done Edward! Thanks for helping fellow POE member canadiantravel...that's what POE is all about, caring about each other!

Canadian travel? Can't we call you by a more friendly name, after all you are now among friends. Not obligatory of course, but really glad you found us and regardless of your decision, enjoy the site hereafter and join in when you can.

Janet Doyle
Janet Doyle
quotePosted at 15:33 on 24th August 2012
Hello, Ron and Edward, thank you for the great welcome!  I'll have to find a photo, too, no doubt! This is a forum with a difference, and is going to be fun to participate in.  Here is another question, then I will do my questions as separate threads or in a topic-related forum -- someone on TripAdvisor's forum [much less friendly place] warned about holiday closures and so on, implying that at the extended Christmas period, bus and rail would be minimal for some days...  what is the advice here?  We want a village or town experience anyway, and have our accommodation all arranged starting on the 21st in Moreton-in-Marsh.  would the days before the 24th and after the 26th have significant shut-downs bus and railwise?  We would need to get back to Paddington or other junction to reach Heathrow on the 29th for the 30th, our flights go on the 30th -- short visit, I know.

Edited by: Janet Doyle at:24th August 2012 15:34
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:43 on 24th August 2012
Sorry i cant help you in your quest Janet --i have never heard of the place i live in the outback known as Lancashire Smileanyway welcome to the site
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:47 on 24th August 2012
Similar story here although I do know of the place, passed through it on route to other places. But welcome to POE you will find a grand little crowd here and feel free to join in the forums, new input is always welcome and I'm sure will enjoy it once you get used to one or two of usWink
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 23:28 on 24th August 2012

Hi again Janet. Just felt I should say thanks for becoming part of the POE family with a real name!

Your comment about TripAdvisor's forum [much less friendly place]. Lots of us know that of course, but people have to find out for themselves, as you did.

I wrote in their forum on one occasion, but obviously got too involved for their liking and after about 4 posts they blocked me thereafter because I wasn't talking up their site activities. They cut the conversation off without so much as an explanation.

Tripadvisor? Freedom of speech, but only if you say what they want to hear!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 23:31 on 24th August 2012

By the way Janet - we have a problem with the avatars right now, so don't be in too much of a hurry to find a picture, sad as that is.

It's been a problem for a while, but hang on in there dear friend!

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:54 on 25th August 2012
Janet, regarding your Christmas travel arrangements, I don't think your proposed travel dates will be a problem, but you will need to check the Christmas timetables yourself to be sure. Generally, public transport in the UK starts winding down early on the evening of the 24th December and restarts on the morning of the 27th December. The Christmas shut down period is sometimes extended when Christmas Day and/or Boxing Day fall on a week-end, but this is not the case in 2012.