Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Kew Gardens Railway Station

Kew

in the county of Greater London

Southwell Minster

Southwell

in the county of Nottinghamshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

As a local, which Oxford College have you visited?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 14:56 on 3rd July 2012

I have seen the many beautiful Oxford Colleges on foot, via bicycle, bus and a car journey more times than I could ever begin to consider and you know what, something different catches my eye every time.

Sad then that the locals who similarly visit on a regular basis en-route to work, shopping, eating out etc; generally speaking haven't got a clue about where each College is situated, yet the American visitors know exactly where to find them. Don't you think that's strange?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 20:53 on 3rd July 2012

My favourite has always been All Souls. I love the view from up St. Mary's Tower. The spires are just so pretty. 

Of course, my grandfather worked the spires on Magdalen College about seventy years ago, so thats special to me too, and the grounds are fantastic.

Here are some pictures I have taken of Magdalen College and its grounds.

Magdalen College, Oxford
Picture by Sue .

Perfection!
Picture by Sue .

Addison's Walk in the grounds of Magdalen College, Oxford
Picture by Sue .

Edited by: Sue . at:4th July 2012 00:43
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:13 on 5th July 2012

Amazing......... 441 views in two days!

Could it be the avatar showing me and mine, Sue and hers, or maybe the pictures of Magdalen College?

Got anything to say about a town near you?

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 21:10 on 6th July 2012

All I have to say Ron is - Don't rub it in.  lol

I think it's a proven fact that people who live in an area are the last to visit their "sites."  Most of the people I know who were born and raised in Arizona have yet to visit the Grand Canyon.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 20:39 on 9th July 2012

Most of the colleges are only partially accessible to the public, and then usually after payment of a small admission fee. The central part of Oxford is quite small and the best way to explore is on foot. Sometimes I have discovered a new view when walking down one of the narrow lanes between the colleges. I have been inside many of the colleges over the years, Christchurch, Brasenose, St. John's, Magdalen and New College spring to mind and I am familiar with the exterior of many of the others. There is always something new to discover in Oxford. I find that the feel of the city is very dependent on the weather - blue skies and sunshine lighten the drab feel of the ancient stonework - a rainy day makes the old colleges seem rather oppressive in my opinion.

P.S. For those with a literary interest, Thomas Hardy's book 'Jude the Obscure' is largely set in Victorian Oxford, although the name of Oxford is disguised as 'Christminster'. The book is somewhat gloomy, and a heavy read, but I enjoyed the story.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:10th July 2012 08:52
 Please login to post to this thread...