Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Hall-ith-Wood, Bolton

Bolton

in the county of Lancashire

St. Peters Square. Emsworth. Hampshire

Emsworth

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Were they cousins prehaps..how do you tell?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Shirley K. Lawson
Shirley K. Lawson
quotePosted at 21:29 on 12th July 2009

George SMEDLEY born Derbyshire, England 1652.grand-daughter Jane m. (1) Willian Larkin, 1756  (2) Thomas Wilson..quakers whom came with William Penn and received land grant form the King to lan din Pennsylvania. Jane's father's name was Thomas Smedly..they appear to be merchants...they amoung very world reknown quaker follwing in the world also. William Larkin's father was an John larkin apparently sent from England to start up "iron works" before the Rev. War in Chester Co., Pa.Good chance he's an Templar knight "Guildsman"possibly also.

John Culpepper m. 1560 Elizabeth SEDLEY of Salhurst, Sussex Co, England..father of John was William Culpepper of Hunton and Wigsall...John Sedly was of southfeet, Kent.  this line is also related to the Catherine Howard of whom both an John Lawson  and Henry VIII...married, after John Lawson was ousted in England from what their legeacy charts indidcate. This is the Pricess of Wales, Diania Spencer's "other side" and it is well documented as to her lineage.

Were these people of the same family and spelled slight;y different, how would I go about finding it..as it appears the Smedly family took hasty retreat ouy of England after people broke in an took thier goods from them om their merchantiel business after being reported to have engaged in the "Quaker" or Society of Friends Church. There is an connection with an John Edge/ege in England also.

I'm having an hard time on the Thomas Wilson line over here also, maybe they all were in Virgina when William Larkin (m. Jane). died in 1753?  I'm not finding an early one, or family to trace then with, so far the best information comes via Ronald WILSON Reagan (pres.) and Pres. Woodrow Wilson, but they are hardly early enough in dates as Jane died in 1755. Mary Wilson m.Rev. Edward Chenoweth..it was his area that my Larkin(m. Reed/Read) family were in when Chenoweth's m. Davis, this is my mother's father's maternal lineage....through Sarah Ann Davis. Edward Chenoweth was an preacher and so was Rev. James Bruce Chenoweth m. Elizabeth Davis.(Baptist)...some say sister, others mothre of Sarah Ann DAvis. Thomas Lawson supposedly was part of Willam Penn's original properitors to Pennsylvania when it was an founded colony. Read/Reed family came over as Quakers in New Jersey to Pennsylvania but did not stay that faith either. Said Baptist, many were in the process of conversion to the Methodist faith later on. They look like people in leadership through the years and there's an connection with George Washington everyone knows about by the Percell/Strawns that married  the ReedsReades, which makes them possbile Masonic Order affliated.... even if Quakers didn't join organizations as such.

Any help kindly appreciated, I'm not familiar with the travels of the English people as of yet, to possible family connections as cousins....unless its stated prior in an document of some kind...where would I find that at?..any suggestions?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Shirley K. Lawson
Shirley K. Lawson
quotePosted at 22:01 on 12th August 2009
I was told to look for any records of George Smedley in Bonham, Derbyshire, England..this make any sense to any of you people over there? it would be mid-1600's....would records still exist???
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 22:12 on 12th August 2009
cant help shirley but records were kept, usually by churches untill the early 1800s when a census of most areas began every 10 years or so. due to security reasons these census's were kept secret   and released after 100 years. Your  'local' church or parish register is your best line to follow for the 'average' family name.
Shirley K. Lawson
Shirley K. Lawson
quotePosted at 18:44 on 18th August 2009

Well, I've gotten quite an few of them here lately from this side of the country...and I have them from Derby, and Wales and Lancastershire also..they were in thier day fairly famous people and apparently went back and ministerd all over in England. I still haven't found out if they are cousins but most likely are the further I go back in time somehow..to the original surname. I had to take some time out to read another one of Cromwell's books about English history also..an history-fiction, the story is the fiction, the history is right on and helps me considerably. Have learned quite an bit about how they went to battle over there also in the process...young countries are always in turbulent times you know, starts around 800/900 AD. and am going through the generations now. I don't know if we could find out much as some of the places they were in were really ravaged in England's history. But going through POE pictures and histories sure makes the book come alive even more so.

Please login to post to this thread...