Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Southbourne Cliffs, Dorset

Southbourne

in the county of Dorset

Acton Burnell Castle, Shropshire

Acton Burnell

in the county of Shropshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

James Goody

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 01:56 on 2nd December 2010
And who is the Robert Goody mentioned in the Iowa City Press, 29 May,1922 being charged with bootlegging after a bit of a purge by the sheriff rounding various people up for assorted offences, notably gambling and bootlegging.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 18:12 on 2nd December 2010

John Kent .b1859 Iowa, was the son of Elizabeth Goody and Henry/Harry Kent. b. 1826, England.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:3rd December 2010 01:47
Carol Forman
Carol Forman
quotePosted at 18:25 on 2nd December 2010

I wonder if Elizabeth Goody was adopted by James.  I just can't figure out how she fits in; she is not Eliza, who married James Rainbow.  Anyway...she is in the family album as Great Aunt LIzzie and John Kent is in a picture with James Goody as his grandson.

Could you please send me the link about he bootlegger in Iowa City?  That's makes my family book I'm putting together much more interesting!

One more thing, I have a picture of two men in uniforms.  I'm guessing it's Robert Goody and one of his brothers in Civil War uniforms although I can't find any pictures of similar uniforms on the internet.  They are very plain with a scarf and a slightly pointed brimmed hat. I thought I saw somewhere that one other brother was in the civil war but now I can't find it.

Carol Forman
Carol Forman
quotePosted at 18:35 on 2nd December 2010
I just found out there is a cemetery in Iowa City called Oakland.  That is probably the cemetery Paul is talking about; I was thinking it was the town of Oakland, Iowa; completely different.  However, I don't see James Gooday on the list for that cemetery.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 19:48 on 2nd December 2010

As you say Carol, Eliza in 1880 is with her husband James Rainbow in Pottawattamie.  Who this Elizabeth Dalby is, is a mystery and how she fits into the family, as are the 2 Wilson boys with her in 1880 as grandsons---born in Washington, DC, their dad from PA and their Mum from VA. Being adopted might be the only logical answer to Elizabeth Dalby; formerly Kent, formerly ????

Robert Goody had been indicted twice by a grand jury for bootlegging. He was then soon back in court again for allegedly tampering with the witnesses and the judge was taking a very dim view of it. If you PM me, I'll email back two copies of the newspaper pages referring.

Please login to post to this thread...