Derby

in the county of Derbyshire

Lone duck at sunset on the canal at Slimbridge, Gloucestershire

Slimbridge

in the county of Gloucestershire

Emsworth Harbour

Emsworth

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

James Goody

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Carol Forman
Carol Forman
quotePosted at 14:14 on 30th November 2010
I'm looking for information on my great, great, great grandfather James Goody.  What I know is he came from Sulflolkshire and was a sheepherder.  He married Sarah (don't have last name or date).  Had a daughter, Eliza, born Sept. 5, 1831 in Suffolkshire and possibly another daughter, Elizabeth.  Immigrated to the US sometime before 1954.  That is when Eliza married James J. Rainbow.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:11 on 30th November 2010

There was a James Goody of Iowa City who became a naturalised US citizen 30 March 1860.  Witnessed by John Goody.

I think the family arrived in New York, 25 Aug. 1853. By 1860, their son William, b.1842 had been a convict.  Wonder what he'd done? 

name on tombstones  in Oakland Cemetery, Iowa spells the name as Gooday.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:30th November 2010 23:34
Carol Forman
Carol Forman
quotePosted at 01:09 on 1st December 2010
That could be him.  Finally some excitment in the family! Do you have a list of James Goody's children?
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 02:53 on 1st December 2010

James and Sarah's children, all born in England were----John 1829; ELIZA 1832; Edward 1836; Robert 1839 ( see below) and William 1842.

Robert's obituary from the ----- Iowa City Press Citizen, 1923

Brave Soldier Mustered Out - Ready to rest in peace, after "war's alarms" and a long and patriotic life,  Mr. Robert Goody was 'mustered out' Sunday at 11:30 a.m., after an illness of but a week.
Services will be held at the Hohenschuh mortuary, Tuesday, at 2:30 o'clock.
Surviving are his widow and four children, Mrs. Prudence Bowen, of Muscatine; and Glenn, Harry, and William Goody, of Iowa City.  Fifteen grand children also survive.  Mr. Goody was a member of the Grand Army - in which he had earned membership by devotion to his country, and faithful service during the Civil War, as a member of Company D, 22nd Iowa - and of the Episcopal church.
He was a native of England, having been born in London, on Oct 9, 1839, but had lived in his adopted country most of his life, having come to Iowa City, as a lad, and having lived here 71 years
Carol Forman
Carol Forman
quotePosted at 03:59 on 1st December 2010
I'm confused.  I have 2 pictures of James Goody.  One is with his wife Sarah and grandson John Kent.  I'm guessing that picture was taken in about 1860.  I also have a picture of James Goody as an old man.  The same family album has a picture of a lady, Elizabeth Dolby, (could also by Dalby), the caption on the picture is "daughter of James Goody".  There is also a picture of John Kent, it says he is the son of Elizabeth Dolby.  I found a US Census record from 1880 that shows an Elizabeth Dalby in Iowa City with a son John Kent and 3 other children, Elizabeth Dalby, age 12, John Wilson, 8 and Roscoe Wilson, 7.  Also, where did you find that James Goody is buried at Oakland, Iowa?  That town is very close to where the rest of the family lived. James Goody's daughter Eliza married James Jonas Rainbow.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 20:29 on 1st December 2010

The info on the Oakland cemetery came from a lady who went there looking for their headstones but couldn't find them.

Your 1880 Census shows the Wilson children as the grandchildren of Elizabeth Dalby.   Was Elizabeth married twice; to a Mr Kent and thence a Mr Dalby? And one of her daughters presumably married a Mr Wilson.

Also interesting in 1880 was the elderly James Goody aged 77 and a widow. Living with him or next door is a James Rainbow aged 25 and a student at Iowa City Academy? Both forenames written as Jas.

Carol Forman
Carol Forman
quotePosted at 22:03 on 1st December 2010

James Rainbow was a grandson of James Goody.  Thanks for the information on where he was living. 

This 1880 Census shows Elizabeth Dalby born in 1830.  She can't be James Goody's daughter in that case.  Maybe his sister?   I am so confused....Maybe my great aunt was confused when she labeled these pictures. 

My old photo album says Elizabeth Dalby was James Goody's daughter. Do you records show that?  It seems strange that a family would name one daughter Eliza and one Elizabeth but that's what I seem to have. Do you know what year James Goody died? 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:12 on 1st December 2010

i find all this research very fascinating,i have gone back to the late 18th century on my family of prescotts thats as far as it goes.

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:00 on 1st December 2010

The 1880 census shows Elizabeth being born England and she was 50 putting her very close to Eliza of 1831. The 1853 passenger list only shows an Eliza comming over with the family, though James is not on it. I think Eliza and Elizabeth are the same person at the moment.

James Goody died 30 Dec. 1885 aged 82 thus Elizabeth could well be his daughter, and I think she was.   I'll have to check our 1841/1851 Census to find the family together over here and think they might, by then, be living in London prior to emigrating. His wife Sarah had died 16 Nov 1877 aged 77.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:2nd December 2010 01:06
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 01:09 on 2nd December 2010

Robert Goody's discharge from the Union Army......

Know, Ye, that Robert Goodey, a Private of Lieut Joseph S. Turnbull's Company (B) 22d Regiment of Iowa Infantry , who was enrolled on the Seventh day of August, one thousand eight hundred and Sixty two, to serve Three years or during the war, is here by DISCHARGED from the service of the United States this Twenty fifth day of July 1865, at Savannah, Georgia, by reason of G.O. No.94, War Dept A.G.O.  Dated May 15 1865.

Was at the Seige of Vicksburg; place of birth given as Cambridge, England. 

http://www.historyanimated.com/Vicksburg.html

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:2nd December 2010 01:24