'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Mow Cop at sunset

Mow Cop

in the county of Staffordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English adventures May/June 2008

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 Next >

Jen Strath
Jen Strath
quotePosted at 23:57 on 4th November 2008

I'm going to do this bit by bit 'cos six weeks is a long time Tongue out and I saw so many things that I can now take off my to-do list  Smile Wink

I went home for 6 weeks this past spring/summer Smile  I say home, my husband says I made a visit to the land of my ancestors Undecided anyway whichever way you look at it, I spent 6 glorious weeks in England alone Wink I flew into Heathrow on May 21st and had a wonderful time navigating the bus terminal before finally deciding that a cab was the best option to get to my hotel down the Bath road! It was bluddy hot at 7.00pm & I was in a long-sleeved t-shirt & cardigan with a woolie vest as well Tongue out tongue hanging out describes me very well Wink Laughing I was so darn tired but do you think I could sleep? NO! I was soooo excited to be on English soil I kept waking every hour or so...worse than a kid whose been told they're going to an amusement park & can do anything they like & eat anything they want.

Anyway first thing the next morning I took a bus to Hayes & Harlington where I caught the 1st of 3 trains to Chester. Chester never changes as far as I can make out. Being May the crowds were less than July. I spent 3 days in Chester and walked and walked and walked. I don't drive so walking is the only option in most cases Smile  I went shopping at Chester Oaks Embarassed and did the river cruise on the Dee. Walked through the cathedral, shopped at Tesco...hehehe and Grosvenor Park is still beautiful!  The photo I took of the squirrel was demended by our daughter. My previous visit to England was with madam and she still remembers the squirrel that followed her round Grosvener Park....so I was under orders to bring her back a photo of one.

While there I made a trip up to Manchester via Warrington. Harvey Nichols is very nice...bought some lovely comfy shoes there and on the wole Manchester is a very pretty city. But I ran into a pick-pocket later who got more than he bargained for when he thought to make me his target Wink Innocent Lets just say that threatening to cut off parts of his anatomy & stuff them down his throat after hunting him down was more than he bargained for from this lone female traveller Innocent

After Chester I went south to Shrewsbury.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 03:01 on 5th November 2008

It's many years since I was last in Chester Jen, but looking at some of the pictures in POE , I agree it has not changed much apart from the ones of the race track.

Sounds like you have been in Oz a while by your description of what you'd do to the pick-pocket.......... lol :)Laughing

L
L
quotePosted at 06:13 on 5th November 2008
When you said Harlington, is that the Harlington train station near me Jen in Beds??
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 06:42 on 5th November 2008

I don't think we've met, Jen.  How do you do.  Your trip sounds like it was terrific, apart from the encounter with the criminal.  Glad you showed him.

Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 11:25 on 5th November 2008
Wow glad you had a good time!!  You passed pretty close to me to by the sound of it!   and Chester is a great place.  A pick pocket in Manchester!!!???  never!! Laughing
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 13:23 on 5th November 2008
On 4th November 2008 23:57, Jen Strath wrote:

Lets just say that threatening to cut off parts of his anatomy & stuff them down his throat after hunting him down was more than he bargained for from this lone female traveller Innocent

LOL @ Jen! You go girl!!! Laughing
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 14:27 on 5th November 2008
Hi Jen, nice to see you back. Glad to hear you had a good time. Remind me not to upset you, I need my PARTS. He he he.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:36 on 5th November 2008

I'm excited to read all about your experiences in England.  It sounds like you started your trip off well (especially with the good weather).

Your run in with the pick pocket reminds me of that very scene in Crocodile Dundee. You didn't happen to have a knife on you did you?

Can't wait for more, and I'm really enjoying your photos. 

Jen Strath
Jen Strath
quotePosted at 11:31 on 6th November 2008

Thanks for all the great comments everyone Smile  You're safe Peter Wink 

This kid was about 20 and watching people...he looked me in the eye and moved around the crowd to be in my line of vision.....there were signs put up by the police in the side streets about 30 feet away from where I was that pick-pockets were operating in the area and as I have an illness that limits my mobility I figured that confrontation was the better thing to do plus I figured he had an accomplice who I couldn't see Frown Yell I had a leather satchel that usually held my lap-top that I'd just taken my camera out of...(because of the twit I missed getting more photos) Frown

Shrewsbury: A beautiful town with so many wonderful houses...hehehe and fabulous lanes to investigateSmile Rowley's House Museum has the most wonderful four-poster bed from 1593 with hangings and bed-cover made by a group of 200 volunteers. I do have pics but I don't think they're good enough to post here Embarassed  We had a near on full day of rain which drove me indoors to the Darwin Centre where I discovered the delights of TK Maxx  Money mouth ....oh God I wish they were over here!!! I bought three Portmeirion dinner plates for £4.99 each (to go with the other 3 back in Melbourne that cost $50 each! Undecided )....which I then had to lug around the rest of England for 5 weeks and protect from breakages. Had a wonderful afternoon tea, a real afternoon tea, at Camellia's in St Alkmond's Place Smile I saw my first ever swan nest down by the river near Wyle Cop.  And in general I toured every last street in Shrewsbury city.

I made a visit over to Wolverhampton as I used to have a pen-friend from there many years ago...so many sad grey faces and people unlike Chester & Shrewsbury......but I found PrimarkEmbarassed I wish they were out here too!!! And also trekked across to Birmingham...another crowded city, much like Melbourne except for the haze and accents! And it was soooo hot!

I left Shrewsbury to travel further south to beautiful Ludlow.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:23 on 6th November 2008

Oh Jen, I have Portmeirion too. I've been collecting it little by little over the years. I'm sure it was a pain lugging it carefully all over England, but now when you eat off of them (I use mine every meal) you will be forever reminded of this trip.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >