Kilpeck

in the county of Herefordshire

Six Arches, near the River Wye, Scorton, Lancashire

Scorton

in the county of Lancashire

Beach huts at Mudeford

Mudeford

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English adventures May/June 2008

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 17:52 on 27th February 2009
sounds great jen but theres still 99.9% of england to see, lol
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Jen Strath
Jen Strath
quotePosted at 22:27 on 27th February 2009
But of course Michael......I always say that I really need 4-5 lifetimes to see & do all I want in Britain alone
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 11:47 on 7th March 2009
you must have a great memory Jen, remembering so much of your journey, and so brave traveling alone by public transport.  You must write a book. how about 'The travel diaries of Jen Strath' lol
Jen Strath
Jen Strath
quotePosted at 01:55 on 8th March 2009
On 7th March 2009 11:47, michael gerrard wrote:
you must have a great memory Jen, remembering so much of your journey, and so brave traveling alone by public transport.  You must write a book. how about 'The travel diaries of Jen Strath' lol

Thank you but I keep a diary when I travel Michael....just a few words are enough to bring back the memories of days and weeks. And I find later that a certain time in a sunny day brings to mind an English summer's day. I don't think I was brave to travel on public transport....millions do it every day...plus it gives you a better understanding of the country and people.
I'd love to write a book about my travels but it'd never sell....to boring I fear!

Edited by: Jen Strath at:8th March 2009 01:59
Jen Strath
Jen Strath
quotePosted at 02:00 on 8th March 2009

LONDON:

I caught the 9.45am train from Canterbury to Victoria which pulled in around 11.30am. Checked into a special B&B with London Home-to-Home where I was able to stay 5 blocks (10 minutes stroll) from Harrods and 6 blocks from the V&A for around £240 for 3 nights!

I spent my first afternoon in the V&A which was a 10 minute stroll from where I was staying. All I can say is it is heaven on a stick for those who love fabrics, architecture & furniture! It was also lovely to see “in the flesh” so-to-speak, the wonderful amethyst necklace of Edith the Marchioness of Londonderry. I’d read a biography of her life earlier in the year. And OMG the white room or music room from Norfolk House http://collections.vam.ac.uk/objectid/O11094 It is exquisite!

I took a walk through Hyde Park and smelt the roses in the rose Garden…so lovely. I then went on to Manchester Square to see the Wallace Collection. WOW!!!!! It is absolutely amazing; four Landseer’s, 2 Gainsborough’s, a Reuben’s, 2-3 Van Dykes and lots of wonderful Serves porcelain as well as a magnificent collection of arms and armour. All set within the wonderful Hertford House. I will be back there again!

I spent almost an entire day in the British Museum. So next time I’m in London my poor husband doesn’t have to be dragged through there. I saw the Rosetta Stone, another thing ticked off my to-do list. I saw a Michelangelo drawing, scores of long forgotten silver and gold coin and other copper, brass, gold and silver treasures. But the thing I wanted most to see was a rather worn creamy grey pebble that most would just dismiss as of no consequence; an Oldowan Chopper that is 1.8 million years old from Olduvai Gorge Tanzania! The first step in a long road of technological innovations that led humans from the plains & deserts of Africa to every corner of this planet and beyond. That one piece of volcanic basalt is worth more than any gold or diamonds to meJ

I also wandered into Selfridges during their sale; tried on lots of lovely shoes and handbags BUT I didn’t buy any. I did buy a Hanro nightgown at Harrods. There’s only one boutique in Oz, that I know of, that sells Hanro so what I got was a bargain. I spent my last day in London back in Harrods and along the Brompton rd buying last minute presents and stocking up on chocolate for the trip before a long stroll back to my B&B to finish packing.

I roamed around Knightsbridge and Kensington and saw some lovely architecture and some wonderful cars. The owner of the pearl white Lamborghini parked on the corner of Walton Street and Pont street Mews may have been concerned ‘cos after I’d admired it two to three times  a day for 3 days running as it was moved…LOL!  

So I caught my final cab to Paddington and the train out to Heathrow for the plane back to Melbourne. Spent my last ££’s on more Portmeirion china at Harrods there then sooked my heart out all the way across the channel…..sulked the rest of the way and bit the head off a customs officer when we landed at Melbourne. And are now planning my/our next trip. I must say that I don’t know why I was so scared about travelling through London. It’s a beautiful city and I cannot wait to get back and explore moreJ

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 09:58 on 25th April 2009
Jen, where have you gone, not heard from you for a while?
Jen Strath
Jen Strath
quotePosted at 13:27 on 26th April 2009
Hi Michael, I've been alternating between sulking at not being able to travel to the UK so far this year & planning the next trip:-)
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 16:32 on 26th April 2009
good to see you are still here lol
 Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5