'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Scorton Priory gateway, Scorton Village, Nr. Garstang, Lancashire.

Scorton

in the county of Lancashire

Tissington Trail

Hartington

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

VAT & other odd things.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

John Joerg
John Joerg
quotePosted at 07:13 on 5th January 2009
A quickie, I  imagine a lot of new travelers form the US will encounter  some of this depending on your immersion into life in the UK.  My Parents had come over for my wedding (autum 1990) and wanted to see Cornwall and Lands End after I had raved about it. The week before the wedding they traveled down by train and stayed at the hotel right there on the cliffs. One of the things they were mortified to find out was that "plus VAT" ment a tax, not a tip.  They were horrified to think they had been stiffing people while they were traveling.  The other thing they encountered was in my home.  My wife and I were both working the few days before the wedding and left them in the house to thier own devices. The next morning my mother told us that the stove (cooker) wasnt working. I never thought to tell them about the BIG RED SWITCH on the wall just above it!   Dad was pretty good, he didnt show any panic on the trip up from Hetathrow to Brampton, Cambs. Even though I was expecting him to be unnerved riding where he was used to having control and being on the wrong side of the road. His only slip was when I was exiting the A-1 and a car was coming the other way on the entry ramp, Then I saw his foot working a non-exsistant brake pedal. We had been on dual carriageway up until then.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 07:34 on 5th January 2009
Welcome to PoE John, and hope you enjoy your time here and look forwards to more of your photos too. I have a DVD of an old late '50s USAF training film for servicemen that were going to be stationed in England.  What was suprising to see on it during a bit about tea time, was seeing Larry Hagman ( J.R./ Dallas) portraying a typical serviceman with his English girlfriend and having tea with her parents. His film making while in he was in the USAF during that period in England doesn't seem generally known about, nor appear in his film credits.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:44 on 5th January 2009
Welcome to POE from me too John, although not exactly the 'welcome thread'. If you go to 'User Introductions' I have no doubt you will be treated to the usual friendly welcome from the members (that is if you haven't already done so. It's hard to keep up with all the new members nowadays) Either way enjoy this great site!
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 17:14 on 27th February 2009
Hi John and welcome. i served in the RAF at Wyton, just outside of Huntingdon (nr Brampton). i think the Government have reduced the Value Added Tax (vat) since your Dad came to visit.  Vat.  used to be called Purchase Tax, a percentage tax added when you purchased certain items or services, the idea is that the retailer or service provider collects the tax then passes it to the government department as another form of tax. however its doubtful if it all gets passed on so always get a reciept for your purchase. (you may even be able to claim it back)
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 20:24 on 27th February 2009
Purchase Tax and VAT have little do to with each other bar they are both forms of taxation; VAT being brought in, in the 70's from the French taxation system. The original rates---bar exemptions--was a dual rate of 8% and 15% before 17.5% singly became the norm.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:27th February 2009 20:27
James Schell
James Schell
quotePosted at 22:09 on 8th June 2010

During the late 80's and early 90's I was stationed with the U.S. Coast Guard in Italy.  On a couple of occasions I made business trips to London.  During my brief stay I picked up some car parts from the "TR Shop" just west of London. Made the mistake on bringing the parts back to Italy me as the Italians wanted to charge me duty.  Should of instead sent them directly to the U.S.

Edited by: James Schell at:8th June 2010 22:12
 Please login to post to this thread...