Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Carisbrooke Castle

Carisbrooke

in the county of Isle of Wight

Winter sunset

Beeston

in the county of Nottinghamshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Dorset May 16 til May 30 2009

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 21:14 on 18th May 2009

This year our UK holiday destination is Dorset. Each holiday I make a dairy and this year I like to share a part of it with all the members of POE. I forgot to pack the dictionary, so sorry for the very Dutch way of writing and all the mistakes. 

Saturday May 16.
Today we started our well earned holiday. 14 days Dorset, England. After we arrived in Dover first a short distance over the motorway but than, of the big road and in low gear over the beautiful county roads (if you where by coinsident, one of the restless, impatiance drivers behind me who could'nt pass on the small roads, sorry, but it's my vacation and I'm not in the mood to hurry myself). It takes some time but you can see a lot more of the county side. Stopping in Metworth by a pub for lunch. Ordered a 'Belly of Pork with gravy' delicious good pub food. It took us almost 7 hours to reach Swanage in Dorset. We're staying in a B&B for a fortnight and from here we can explore a large part. of Dorset.

Sunday May 17
Our first day in Dorset. We forget the cholesterol and start with a full English breakfast. Great, this keep you going for the whole day!
First destination today is Tyneham a small coastal village that was deserted in 1943. The Army needed the area for the D-DAY preparation. The people of Tyneham had to leave there house behind, but the governement promissed that they could return after the war. Now, 66 year later Tyneham is still a ghost town in the middle of the Lulworth firing range. You can visit the town during the weekend as the guns are silence and parts of the range are open to the public.

Tyneham
Picture by Ted van Onzen

After a stroll through the empty houses, the old school building and a visit to the church (together with the school, the only buildings still in tact) we made a walk to Worbarrow Tout. A sturdy, windy (force 8) walk with some steep climbs (still feeling my knees).

Worbarrow Tout near Tyneham
Picture by Ted van Onzen

After Tyneham we went to the Charborough Estate to visit the gardens. It is located between Bere Regis and Wimborne Minster next to the A31. Surrounded by the longest brick wall in England. The 2000 acre Estate is only a few times in the year open to the public and luckely today was one of those days. With lots of plants in bloom - I don't know there English names - the gardens are breath taking. In the middle of the park stands Charborough tower. A 100 feet long folly, built in 1790.

Folly Charborough tower
Picture by Ted van Onzen

A few years ago it was possible to climb the tower but all the new health and safety regulations made an end to all that fun. (and to lost more, according to one of the local park wardens I spoke to)
At the end of the walk we had tea and cake, fresh made by the friendly ladies of the local church. I love home baking.

Next stop another folly, Horton tower. 140 feet long and build in the early 1700's. Not open for the public but now a days sponsored by Vodafone how is using it as a giant telephone pool for its antennas. Shame on them, cultural barbarians.

Horton Tower, Dorset
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Last stop The Knowlton Rings. The remains of a 14th century Norman church in the middle of a neolithic hence (2500 BC).
Enough culture for one day, so back to Swanage to eat, rest and sleep so we will be fit for tomorrow.

Later this week more Dorset experiences and photo's

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 01:00 on 19th May 2009
Sounds like a wonderful trip Ted, great pictures thanks so much for sharing this with us,;-))) I enjoyed it!!
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 06:11 on 19th May 2009
Great idea Ted - very enjoyable and lovely pictures to illustrate the diary. Hope the weather improves for you!
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 08:31 on 19th May 2009
hope you enjoy the rest of your visit ted, i'll have a word with the 'boss' and see if he can sort that weather 'problem' for you. lol
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:11 on 20th May 2009

Yes, Ted, great idea.  Keep up the good work for us who have to live vicariously.  Great photos!

Ted
quotePosted at 22:14 on 20th May 2009
On 19th May 2009 08:31, michael gerrard wrote:
hope you enjoy the rest of your visit ted, i'll have a word with the 'boss' and see if he can sort that weather 'problem' for you. lol

Don't know what you have been telling the guy, Micheal, but the weather is improved for shure ,lol

Here some more holiday stories

Monday May 18
Today we gone visit the Swanery in Abbotsbury. But first a short visit to Weymouth. It's a very nice place and there is lots to see especially in the harbour area. In Holland I live near a harbour and ships always have my attention.

A picture of Weymouth
Picture by Ted van Onzen

After lunch we went to the Swanery and in this time of the year it's crowded with fluffy baby swans, so adorable.

Baby Swan
Picture by Ted van Onzen

You can come very close to the swans, but not all the male swans are very friendly. When they start making strange noises better be were and take a stap back (I know now what i'm talking about).
There are hundreds of swans at the Swanery and hundreds of baby swans. I counted 17 youngster in one family, so lovely.
Could stay there for ages, but they close at 5 pm, so we had to leave.

On the way to Abbotsbury, I notice a sign with the directions to the Hardy monument, so on the way back we made a smal detour. The visit was short because there was a very strong wind on the top by the tower and very dark clouds promised not al the best.

Hardy's tower
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Due to road works there was a giant trafic jam on the road so we took the oppertunity to explore more of the small county lanes.
Never know that there where so many shades of green in nature. Our average speed is 20 miles per hour. Why is everybody else on the road so in a rush. Perhaps locals whom has forgotten that they live in a beautiful country. It takes houres to reach our B&B but who cares, it's holiday!

Tuesday May 19
After more then 1100kms in 3 days we gives the car a day rest. Putting on the walking boots and gone make a walk to Durlston castle.

Swanage
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Along the coast we walk and as we passes the life boat station we have a chat with the guard, who tells us all ins and outs of what is best of living in Dorset. Very nice and friendly chap, like most of the Dorset people we meet so fare. (there must be something in the water!)
The walk along Peveril point to Durlston castle is breath taking. Not only for the steep climbs more for the stunning en spectacular view. Pitty enough there was a greasy spot on my camare lens that I notice to late. Lots of my picture are spoiled. Also spoiled is Durlston Castle. Lack of maintenance makes it a desolate place. They start restoration now, so let's hope the will fix it to his old glory.

The famous globe in Durlston Country Park
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Back in Swanage the weather is warm enough to eat outside so we're buying some fish and chips and have our diner on the quay side.

Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 01:58 on 21st May 2009
Sounds Wonderful Ted, love the pictures fills like i am there with ya,,,lol thanks!!
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:47 on 22nd May 2009

You and your wife take vacations the way I like to, Ted.  A nice slow pace and enjoy the area you're in and don't try and see too much.  You can still cover a lot of ground without knocking yourself out.  Thanks for sharing the trip with us.

Ted
quotePosted at 23:48 on 25th May 2009
The second week of our holidays all ready. If I could only stop the clock. The weather is great! Lots of sun, but not to hot. After a week my English is improving rapidly. I even solved a puzzle in the daily paper. (my wife said that would not count because it was a sudoku).
Dorset is a great place to be. There is so much to see and do. Each day is filled with new impressions.

Wednesday may 20
We're of to Studland for a walk to Old Harry rocks. After parking the car in Studland first we visit the St. Nicholas Church in the village. - When preparing our trip to Dorset, I purchased some books with local interests. One of those books described 28 parish churches of Purbeck. My mission these vacation is to visit all 28. - This one is from Saxon origin and has lots of interesting medieval features.
After the church visit we start our walk to Old Harry and his wife. Not a very difficult walk. The paths are quit level. Within 30 minutes we see the first glim of the white rock. It is a beautiful place with spectacular views. I have made lots of pictures and will place some of them on POE after the holidays.
We following the path that is part of the south west coast path. From here there is a great view over Swanage. After some miles we heading back to Studland to pick up our car.
Back to Swanage because this evening there is a practise launch of the RNLI life boat. We're on time fore the launch and have good seats to watch it all. First the launch of the rubber boat. The rubber boat is not inflated enough and the sound of a foot pump is coming out of the garage. When the boat is ready, 4 life guards pushing the trolley with the rubber boat from the slip-way into the water. Not very smoothly. The slip-way is covered with seaweed and the trolley get stuck into it. It took more then 5 minutes to get the boat into the water and then of the go...? No, because the motor wouldn't start. After a number of pulls on the starter the engine came alive. Some one behind my said, 'the poor bloke must be drowned by now'.
After the rubber boat the launch of the life boat. No problems with this launch.
Dorset, May 2009
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Thursday 21
Today we start with a visit to Wareham. An old market town with an almost intact saxon wall. First we visit the local market and a few of the town's churches. Then we made a circular walk along the saxon wall. Wareham has also some interesting churches and we visit 2 of them.
St. Martin Church Wareham
Picture by Ted van Onzen

After Wareham we made a tour through the county side en visiting some more churches and follies.
East Holme St. John Church
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Grange Arch Dorset 2009
Picture by Ted van Onzen

In the late afternoon we end our trip with a 8 mile circular walk near Kimmeridge. The walk along the cliffs is some times tricky. The path is small and has big cracks. Parts of the path has even dissapear in to the see by land slides. During our walk we pass Clavell tower. A folly originally built in 1830. Due to crumbling cliffs the tower was dismantled and rebuilt 25 metre's inland during 2005. Now you can rent the place as an holiday apartment for two. The views are spectacular.
Clavell's tower near Kimmeridge Dorset 2009
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Friday 22
Near Poole lies Brownsea Island, well know as the birthplace of the boyscouts of Baden Powell. I've never been a boyscout, but one of the churches described in my book is on the island, so we have to visit it and today is the day.
We're taking the ferry to Sandbanks. Sandbank is the place to live when you have money to spent. The average price of a property is 9 million pound.
From Sandbanks we taking another ferry to Brownsea. On the island we're visiting the church and made a walk, hoping to get a glimpse of one of the last red squirrels of west England. There must be approx 200 of them on the island but probably they all have a day of.
St. Nicholas Church on Brownsea Island
Picture by Ted van Onzen

Back to the main land and of to a short visit to Poole quay. The shipyards there are building yachts that perfectly fits by the jetties of the 9 million properties of Sandbanks.
After a picknick on the beach, we're taking the ferry back to Studland. On the way back to Swanage I'll drive with a slow pace and we enjoying the beautiful scenery all around us. Suddenly a deer is crossing the roads just in front of my car. I stop and two more deers are crossing. Fantastic to witness and luckily my wife can make a quick photo.

Saturday May 23
Today we're of to Wimborne Minster. It's market day today and a market is a great place to get some 'couleur locale'. Strolling allong the stalls, we love it.
Because of the very nice weather we spend the whole afternoon on Swanage beach in the sun to get some rest after al the miles walking this week.
Swanage Pier
Picture by Ted van Onzen

We end this Saturday and the first week of our holiday with a special treat. In this part of Dorset (the isle of Purbeck) there is an old steam rail way. On special dates you can book a 5 cours diner trip and i've booked for tonight as a supprise for my wife for our 28 wedding anniversary. It was a great night out.

This was our first week in Dorset and till now it was a great week. We've seen a lot and met very friendly people. Hope that the next week will bring us more of all of this.

Edited by: Ted van Onzen at:26th May 2009 09:15
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:51 on 26th May 2009

Thanks again, Ted.  The pictures are great  Hope you're having another wonderful week.  No doubt you are.