Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The museum at Berkswell, Warwickshire

Berkswell

in the county of West Midlands

Swanage Dorset

Swanage

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Pleasant Surprises

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 23:59 on 11th January 2010

For those of you who have traveled in the UK, please tell us about visiting a place in England that turned out to be an unexpected and very pleasant surprise (i.e.--a place about which you had heard negative comments, or a place that offered unexpected beauty or charm, etc.).

One of the most pleasant surprises that I encountered in England was when I visited Dartmouth (Devon) in October, 2006, with my wife and an English couple with whom we've been friends for several years (a former academic colleague and his wife). We were staying with our friends in nearby Modbury when they suggested a day trip, first to Totnes in the morning and then to Dartmouth for lunch and the rest of the afternoon. I had heard that Dartmouth was crowded and very touristy, so I was not particularly enthusiastic to visit the town.

I have to say, though, that I fell in love with Dartmouth right from the start. It was a sunny, warm, perfect Fall day and I was won over by the spectacular views of the harbour and terraced Kingswear across the River Dart. We had a wonderful meal at the very atmospheric Royal Castle Hotel. Of course, as we were there in mid-October, I'm sure that this had a bearing on my enjoyment of the town since the crowds were small and manageable! It's a town that I would like to visit again when I'm next in that neighborhood. I think it's one of the nicest days I've ever spent in England since my first trip in 1970!

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:12th January 2010 02:22
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 00:12 on 12th January 2010

Oh Rob, what a wonderful subject.

I remember a trip I made a number of years ago. My husbands niece  wanted to join me while I was there. She really wanted to 'see' London. I am NOT a city fan, prefer to get lost in the woods and fields and little villages, but I knew I had to take her up to see London.

She wanted to take one of those open top bus tours, a tad expensive I though, but got on in any case, and LOVED it. We got off and on around London, and as part of the trip had a boat ride down the Thames.

Now when someone asks what to do in London, I tell them the open top bus, even if it seems to be out of the budget.  

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 02:39 on 12th January 2010

Sue: You're right, the London hop-on hop-off buses are a great way to see the city! I'm like you in that I am more a back-country traveler (something I do a lot of over there) and I generally don't go to London unless I am doing research at the British Library or the V&A Museum. What I like to do is to stay in Buckinghamshire not too far from Milton Keynes where I can catch a train to London at any time. Saffron Walden in Essex is a great place to stay and take a day trip to London as well. And then there is the Oxford Express bus that goes into London regularly from that great old university town, which is quite handy as well! Of course my wife and daughter have had to make their pilgrimages to Harrod's--and that always includes taking in a show as well, so a stay in London proper is sometimes called for. Always a pricey affair, though!

Urmimala Singh
Urmimala Singh
quotePosted at 05:21 on 12th January 2010

Yes,Sue a trip on the London Hop-on Hop-off buses is really good!We took a trip on our very first day in London and as the guide kept calling out the names of all the important 'sights' I had the feeling that I was in a dream!I had read about these places in books since childhood and the fact that I was really seeing them with my own eyes was a weird experience!The boat ride down the Thames in the evening was beautiful too!

Another place I really enjoyed visiting was Hampton Court Palace!

I was initially not too keen .However my husband insisted, so we went there by train from London.It  was an amazing experince.English history really came alive for us.We spent the entire day roaming the gardens,visiting the superb Royal Apartments and interacting with the people in the Tudor Kitchens.That is one trip I can never forget!
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 06:35 on 12th January 2010

Love your new avatar Rob.

I am also someone who is not a fan of cities - on my very few visits I have found London a scary experience although one day I would like the boys to see the sites there when they are a bit older.

Birmingham has a terrible reputation - people tend to think it is a bit of a dump and joke about its second city status but actually they have done much to improve it over the last few years especially the Brindley Place area and canal areas as well as the new shopping centres. I rarely go these days but I have seen my business partner Martin's photos and was pleasantly surprised.

My youngest son wanted to go to a zoo for his birthday last year and because of the high day trip price we joined Dudley Zoo for a year. That has been a real revelation to me - I was a bit sceptical about zoos and also remembered the Dudley Zoo of many years ago which was cramped and very run down. I must say that of late they have improved it immensely for the animals and the visitors and we have really enjoyed our membership.

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 11:56 on 12th January 2010
On 12th January 2010 06:35, Stephanie Jackson wrote:

I am also someone who is not a fan of cities - on my very few visits I have found London a scary experience although one day I would like the boys to see the sites there when they are a bit older. . .

I was a bit sceptical about zoos and also remembered the Dudley Zoo of many years ago which was cramped and very run down. . .

Thanks, Stephanie . . . my avatar is a photo of me and my granddaughter Eva Lucia having a lovely moment together over the Christmas holiday!

I agree that London can be a real assault on the senses and a bit intimidating. Even though I grew up in Detroit, I generally find big cities to be somewhat nerve-wracking. I got my fill of London when I was practice-teaching at Peter Symonds College in Winchester in the Spring of 1974 (it was at that time a boys' grammar school). My fellow practice teachers and I would often hop on a train to London on a late Friday afternoon and spend the evening having the time of our lives. We would then drag ourselves to Waterloo Station and take the "milk train" back to Winchester, arriving at about 5:00 a.m. on Saturday morning and certainly worse for the wear. Ah, youth!

I agree with you about zoos as well--I generally come away from them feeling rather sad. But maybe I'll take a look at the Dudley Zoo next time I'm in the area!

Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 12:17 on 12th January 2010
On 12th January 2010 06:35, Stephanie Jackson wrote:

I am also someone who is not a fan of cities - on my very few visits I have found London a scary experience although one day I would like the boys to see the sites there when they are a bit older.

Birmingham has a terrible reputation - people tend to think it is a bit of a dump and joke about its second city status but actually they have done much to improve it over the last few years especially the Brindley Place area and canal areas as well as the new shopping centres. I rarely go these days but I have seen my business partner Martin's photos and was pleasantly surprised.

My youngest son wanted to go to a zoo for his birthday last year and because of the high day trip price we joined Dudley Zoo for a year. That has been a real revelation to me - I was a bit sceptical about zoos and also remembered the Dudley Zoo of many years ago which was cramped and very run down. I must say that of late they have improved it immensely for the animals and the visitors and we have really enjoyed our membership.

Hi Steph, your right, Birmingham is nice now! and Dudley zoo!!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:35 on 12th January 2010
Probably because it has the 'Brind' influence eh? Lol
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 12:38 on 12th January 2010
On 12th January 2010 12:35, Ron Brind wrote:
Probably because it has the 'Brind' influence eh? Lol

Or, more properly, "Brind-fluence!"
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:16 on 12th January 2010
Yeah, I'm happy with that Rob. Can't wait for the royalty cheque to hit the bank. Lol