'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Denstone village store

Denstone

in the county of Staffordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

spring in the cotswolds.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 09:04 on 23rd April 2010

Ron Surprised

OK Maths never was my strong point - make that 35 years (and no rest!!!)

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 09:31 on 23rd April 2010
thats more like it cathy,getting back to michaels lancashire i would          never live anywhere else but lancashire i was born here and that is          where i would like to end my days,there are plenty of places to visit in lancashire as there are in other counties in the uk.
Urmimala Singh
Urmimala Singh
quotePosted at 11:57 on 23rd April 2010
Yes indeed Michael,India has its beautiful side too.We have ancient palaces,forts and temples,golden beaches,forests and wildlife,deserts and the awe-inspiring Himalayas.The accepted 'fashion'in the media is to show only the poverty and slums I suppose.I went on a holiday to Europe last year and saw the Alps and I have seen the Scottish Highlands too .Both are very beautiful but believe me nothing can beat the grandeur of the mighty Himalayas.So do visit my country too Michael.We would love to have you!
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 14:51 on 23rd April 2010
On 22nd April 2010 19:42, lancashirelove wrote:

Rob I've no problem with the Amish, live and let live is my motto as long as you live within the laws of the land and respect others.

I didn't want to imply that you had a problem with the Amish--I was just sending along some of my own experiences with this interesting group of people. They're subjected to a lot of incorrect stereotyping. One problem that has occurred in this area with more frequency are road accidents involving cars and Amish horse-drawn buggies--the buggies don't generally fare very well against a fast-moving automobile! There are road signs throughout our region that have a silhouette of an Amish buggy in order to warn drivers to watch for the slower moving vehicles.

Urmi--The Amish, sometimes called "Plain People" for their austere and old-fashioned dress and lifestyles, are closely related to the Mennonites--both were early Protestant sects mainly originating in Switzerland and southern Germany in the 16th century. Many of the Amish settled in Pennsylvania in the early 18th century to escape religious persecution. And like I told Cathy, I still would love to have that photo of my daughter and the little Amish girl staring each other down--it's a really precious memory for me!

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 14:59 on 23rd April 2010
Rob is there a chance you could draw the encounter, or find an artist who could draw it from your description (like the police artists can draw likenesses of criminals from a person's description)?  Then you will have your tangible memory!
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 15:23 on 23rd April 2010
On 23rd April 2010 14:59, cathyml wrote:
Rob is there a chance you could draw the encounter, or find an artist who could draw it from your description (like the police artists can draw likenesses of criminals from a person's description)?  Then you will have your tangible memory!

Ironically, my daughter Leah is an very gifted artist and she remembers that little encounter--I'm sure that she could probably draw or paint the incident. But it's still not quite the same as a photo. I'm sure that my brother or my niece, who are also both very talented artists, could probably paint the encounter as well.
Urmimala Singh
Urmimala Singh
quotePosted at 17:41 on 23rd April 2010

Rob -Thank you for the interesting information.It is really intriguing to learn about people who have chosen to ignore the trappings of 'development' and lead simple lives even in these crazy times.I am reminded of a tribe who live in the remote Himalayan ranges and apparently still converse in the old Sanskrit dialect.If you ever get the scene of your daughter meeting the Amish girl painted do share it with us.

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 19:30 on 23rd April 2010
i've loaded an image that I put together for you to remember the meeting, Rob It took me a little time but I hope you like it, as soon as its cleared you can down load it then I'll delete it after a couple of days. mikeSmile
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 22:32 on 23rd April 2010
this one' for our Rob!!
Meeting
Picture by mike gerrard

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 05:55 on 24th April 2010
That's really lovely, Michael.