Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St Leonards Church, Colchester

Colchester

a Historic City in the county of Essex

Thaxted

Thaxted

in the county of Essex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Wilderness camping

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dennis Bailey
Dennis Bailey
quotePosted at 19:52 on 7th February 2008

Every once in a while i itchy feet and go wilderness camping. We have some of the most beautiful national parks in Europe. Last time i went wilderness camping i visited just about all our national parks, and it was heaven.

So why have most national parks shut out wilderness camping now. The only place i can find to relive my youth again is south Dartmoor, the rest seem to have pulled the shutters up. No more wilderness camping in Exmoor, north Dartmoor, New forest, and The Lake District.. Why have things changed i have no idea, i do know that when i last did it i dreamed of going back for many, many years afterwards.

I'm tired of the dreams, i want to do it again.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions

quote | editPosted at 23:50 on 7th February 2008
Dennis, I take it that 'wilderness camping' is walking into a place and deciding to bed down for the night.....sounds like a great idea...I can only say that so much has changed in our country over the years that it is probably commercial greed......it cannot be for 'security' reasons...can it!?..Where I live 'they' have turned the woods I used to play in as a child into a money-making enterprise with cafeteria etc.perched on the edge....I walk my dog there and recently they had little 'flags' shoved into the ground where a piece of dog poop was found....all over the woods...even though it wa s off the track...must have needed a very large magnifying glass....I chucked every one I found into the undergrowth....what a damn mealy-mouthed cheek!  Sorry if this does not help, but I have a feeling it is all part of the same grand master plan....money and bossing us about......I am mild and love a quiet life, but, to quote that great man: 'Up with this I will not put'!  Winston Chuchill.
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 12:19 on 28th February 2008

Hi Dennis. I used to go back packing a lot when i was younger. Live off the land as much as possible and carry everythign else that I needed on my back.I  never had any problems, but, I did find a lot of rubbish left by others doing the same. Although most of us may remove our trash, taking it away with us, there is a minority that dont. A lot of places have banned camping out because of this. The only time we were woken up by the police early in the morning, was to see if we were all ok.

I agree that money talks, and if they cant make money out of it, then ban it. But Britain is becoming a nation of rubbish dumpers and it is the few that are spoiling it for the many. I have never been asked to move on, but when questioned, after explaining that we were hiking and only stopping for one night, were wished good luck.

Oh how I wish that I were fit enough to do it again, but unfortunately, ill health now stops me. I do miss those days off walking the countryside and camping wherever we got tired. The last hike that my son and I took was the Ridgeway Path, camping oh hillsides and in woods along the way. But, I was healthy then. Old age do not come by itself.

Peter.

Dennis Bailey
Dennis Bailey
quotePosted at 19:57 on 29th February 2008

I hear you mate, i'm trying to get one more in before having a free bus pass means using it.

Please login to post to this thread...