Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Alfred Cory Museum.

Southwold

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What other hobbies do you all have

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 18:50 on 12th January 2009
ROFL @ Bob!!! Laughing
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 19:06 on 12th January 2009
On 12th January 2009 15:01, Bob T wrote:
WOW, Paul! A vintage Flying V is rare enough, but the provenance of THAT one is incredible!

I'll have to dig out the guitar magazine story about it, Bob.  You might not know, but Hendrix played at Newbury in Feb. 1967 at The Plaza, which was in the Market Place near the Queen's Hotel. Cost about $1 to see him.  The 1960's Burns Hank Marvin guitar mentioned you can see here------though Hank Marvin is far better known playing a red Strat with The Shadows, and owned the first one imported in to the UK.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31284687@N05/2932108297/

On top of the Fender Twin-Reverb amp is an old '60s Binson Echorec; an early way of providing delay/reverb using a puck-like disk with various play-back heads that could be switchced on/off.  You can hear Echorecs being used with Dave Gilmour's Strat plugged into one on Pink Floyd's  Dark Side Of The Moon album.

Bob T
Bob T
quotePosted at 19:54 on 12th January 2009
Holey SMOKES, Paul! I stayed at The Queen's when I arrived in Newbury! Is it still there?
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 20:04 on 12th January 2009
Yes Bob, The Queen's Hotel is still where it was, and just to the left of it was where The Plaza used to be, and now a major estate agents/realtors. The Market Place is now a (mainly) pedestrian area. There's a lot of changes going on in Newbury at the moment.
Bob T
Bob T
quotePosted at 21:16 on 12th January 2009

I remember the Queen's, Trent's right across the street next to Sainsbury's, Town Hall about half a block to the right of Trent's and just to the right of the little alleyway of shops...the parade I think it was called. Wagon and Horses to the right next to the corn exchange, and around the corner to the right on Wharf St was the museum.

Butcher shop on the bridge, Camp Hopson's follows.

Is my memory correct?

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 00:36 on 13th January 2009

Yes Bob, you'd be right for your time period. The differences you'd see today are--Trents closed down years ago and is now a bar/resturant. The car park next to it is having a cinema being built on it. Sainsbury's moved out many years ago to relocate south of the police station round-about with a very large new store. If you continued westwards of Greenham's runway, you'll now find a major shopping area/ car dealerships now developed next to the former A34---now re-numbered A339. The concrete of the runway was used as ballast for the Newbury by-pass which is the A34 now. Your other things are still the same. Your litttle alleyway is The Arcade. The Museum is the former granary building from the days of the canal boats, in the wharf. Newbury's library is now located nearby there too. The Parkway opposite Victoria Park is being re-developed now as well. One of my websites might be of interest too.....

http://greenham.moonfruit.com/

And about the trucks on the base  http://greenhamtrucks.moonfruit.com/

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:13th January 2009 00:59
Ray Stear
Ray Stear
quotePosted at 00:48 on 13th January 2009
On 12th January 2009 01:02, Paul Hilton wrote:

Hi Ray----still am on radio  M3HSR.  My Grandad was a radio operator in WW1 at the Somme, so kind of runs in the family I guess. Yes, i think times do change a bit! Used to do a lot of monitoring of the h.f. bands on USB, 90% aircraft related stuff.

To amuse themselves, the radio operators in the trenches used to see who could send the fastest/ CW. My grandad had apparently got up to some riduculous speed sending morse.

I was a telegraphist and used to receive morse code putting it straight onto a teleprinter. We used to practice by sending 'Best Bent Wire' in morse, over and over again. It has a strong rythm. The trouble is with sending at a very fast rate, you may have an operator on at the other end who sends back at the same speed. Very few people can read morse faster than they can send it. lol
Bob T
Bob T
quotePosted at 01:13 on 13th January 2009

Truck #3, 1977 Mack R600 with Maxidyne diesel and fifteen-speed w/air splitter, USAF reg #77B 1153. I drove that one quite a bit in and out of London and to/from Upper Heyford, Fairford, Alconbury, and Lakenheath. WOW! That picture brings back memories. I think I still have the operator's manual for it.

I remember taking it to RARDE at Chobham; is RARDE still there? I ran it on the test track at speed and over their obstacle course.

Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7