Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Tideswell Church, known as 'Cathedral of the Peak'. The centre piece of the village.

Tideswell

in the county of Derbyshire

The Old Mill on Spring Lane, Oxted, Surrey

Oxted

in the county of Surrey

Tomb of Princess Elizabeth in St. Thomas's Church, Newport

Newport

in the county of Isle of Wight

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

History Brought to life

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 00:55 on 24th March 2009

I love history, especially medieval history. I read allot of medieval historical fiction, and one of my favorutie authors is Peter Tremayne who writes about Ireland in the 7th century.

While looking through the Litchfield Cathedral tour I found this picture, and it just brings history to life. To think this book has survived so many centuries, to think of all the painstaking work put into it, I think it's fantastic.

Lichfield Cathedral
Picture by Stephen

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:18 on 24th March 2009

I know, doesn't it just boggle your mind, Sue?  I had the good fortune to see one of the surviving originals of the Magna Carta in Salisbury Cathedral.

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 12:26 on 24th March 2009
I agree with you Sue and Ruth. When ever I am at a museum and looking at furniture, pottery, or ancient jewelry, I am awed to think that 100, 600, or even two thousand years ago, some body sat on that chair, or drank from that dish, or wore that piece of jewelry. They are gone, but the items remain...something seems terribly wrong with that doesn't it?
Bill Swan
Bill Swan
quotePosted at 12:49 on 24th March 2009
What I would find worrying Diana is the fact that doomsday books and medieval bibles like the one above will be replaced by say an open laptop and the words may be in Gothic ('cos lap tops can do that) saying leave your comments here.......then our history will have gone .....but I try not to think of it. but its true don't you agree?YellUndecided
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:34 on 24th March 2009

I don't think there is anything wrong with that Diana. When I am able to touch (I do so like to touch things) I think of the people who've gone before me, what were there lives like, so on and so forth.

I love to touch old churches, pews, alters, fonts. I think of the people who built them, who crafted them. 

Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 14:42 on 24th March 2009
Lichfield Cathedral is a fantastic building Sue, I know what you mean, its hard to imagine how old that book is and how it survived!!
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:51 on 24th March 2009
I would love to touch it.
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 15:15 on 24th March 2009

This is what I love about England. The fact that buildings and such still stand as they did hundreds of years ago!!! And that I could stand where someone stood 700 years ago and imagine how they lived, what they looked like, wonder if the landscape was the same, who were they, what was their name...

We don't have that so much here in America! This country is so young in relation to England! 

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:20 on 24th March 2009
Where I am, in the Nevada desert Krissy, when I drive to the big city through miles upon miles of desert, I think of the Indian tribes that roamed this area, and the peoples of ancient America and what there lives were like. They left no building, but they were still here, there bones are out there somewhere. 
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 15:26 on 24th March 2009
You are so right Sue!!! It's a real shame very few tribes were left as is. It's an amazing culture and I love it!!  Another dark spot in American history.