Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Palm Sunday.

Hunstanton

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

The Southwold Jack

Southwold

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

The Wildlife Trusts! Friends of our environment, or incubating a serious problem?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 19:29 on 26th June 2009

Ron, don't take this the wrong way please, but don't think if people aren't for you, they are against you, i'm sure this isn't true, there are lots of opinions as to what is the right way to manage land. I've never seen the land in question, so i can't really comment on it, i do know that the open space in my county and surrounding, is pretty good on the whole, and the wildlife trusts are doing a pretty good job, against a lot of pollution from the public and businesses!

Have you approached them, and asked what their plans are for it? if so what was the reply?  they are human too, you may be able to sway the way its 'managed' by talking to them, if they know someone is interested it may make a lot of difference, why have they let it stagnate? they must be able to answer you. Your not a shy man Ron, i'm sure you could get them on your side and make the difference.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:19 on 26th June 2009
Certainly don't take it the wrong way Jason and thanks for responding again. The purpose of the thread initially was to raise awarenesss, I think I have done that don't you? But the fact is this particular Trust have been asked by me, to take the weed out, restock it with fish, clean up the area, open up the  bomb shelter that Puddleglum (referred to in C S Lewis' Silver Chair) built. Instead they plant Holly trees directly in front of the entrance so that in a few years time it will be totally obliterated. Access will be difficult to say the least. As for not stocking the lake/pond with fish, they say the fish will eat the flies!! I say yeah, thats what fish do isn't it? Then I was told that they wanted Bats to take up residence in the bomb shelter nearby and so I said ah, I get it, you want the Bats to eat the flies and not the fish, is that it? The woman in question standing by the lake/pond raised her arms and said 'We are environmentalists'. I said you are a bunch of do-gooders!! Needless to say we don't get on too well. Further, they fixed a gate to the entrance of the bomb shelter having kicked an old guy out (tramp for want of a better description) hoping that the Bats will take up residence. The area is everything as described in my opening post......a stinking cess pit! It's interesting that nobody has mentioned (not even the local press - and I am going to want to know why) or referred to the other problems developing in our beautiful land, that is West Nile Virus, Horse flies and/or Lyme disease!! Oh by the way, they cut down trees and/or removed all non-native species, but it was perfectly okay as it was in Lewis' day, so why? Environmentalists....pwhh!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:24 on 4th July 2009
Thankfully the BBC News has picked up on this problem, watch this space!!
Mick Ascroft
Mick Ascroft
quotePosted at 23:43 on 9th July 2009

very interesting thread ron.

Like others have said its all down to our own particular area"s and it seems like your having a bit of a rough time where you are but your certainly doing the right thing by making it public and i do agree that something needs to be done, all over britain local councils etc are turning a blind eye to these area"s when they shouldnt be.

To be honest in lancashire,especially around the wigan area where i live they are doing a stirling job and the local flashes have been that well looked after over the last few years that we have attracted a huge amount of rare birds/insects that have stopped in the area and are making there homes  here, David Bellamy recently opened the local flashes again after extensive work and he was rather impressed with the work that had been done, As people may know, wigan was an industrial town and we had a hell of a lot of slag heaps which are now classed has nature reserves, we have come a long way over the years and i for one are proud of what we"ve achieved.

I know your area can be great again because of people like yourself who are willing to fight for it and that makes me proud to be british.

Keep up the good work, it will all come good in the end

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:27 on 10th July 2009
The trouble is Mick, those who are close to it can't seem to grasp the urgency of the matter, and in the meantime the kids are potentially at risk, the dogs (not that I'm overly keen of them being in these area's anyhow) are likely to swallow the water as they cool down swimming, taking in the toxicity from the red and white algae that forms.
Mick Ascroft
Mick Ascroft
quotePosted at 12:48 on 11th July 2009

We had a similar problem last year with algae and one of the local dogwalkers dogs was poisoned because of it and died a couple of days later, i believe the situation was rectified quite quickly but its not much of a consolation to the poor woman who lost her dog.

In certain area"s around wigan that are a bit off the beaten track, which i prefer to walk to be honest over the years i"ve come across old ponds that have either dried up or are an absolute mess but because people are unaware they are there (kids dont play in the woods anymore) the local authoritys rarely do anything about it until someone complains about it and even then it takes an age for anyone to actually listen.

The only thing we can do about it is keep complaining about it until something is done regardless of how long it takes

Ian Flaws
Ian Flaws
quotePosted at 19:00 on 12th July 2009

Hi Ron,

I must agree with Roy Jackson in that in our area Durham Wildlife Trust does a magnificent job.  I have not seen any dereliction of any sort at Rainton Meadows, Washington Wildfowl or Herrington Country Park where DWT have had a very active part.  Our warden at H.C.P. is himself a very active member of DWT.

For the past 4-5 years both Rainton Meadows and H.C.P. have achieved ‘Green Flag’ status.  Ron is certainly correct about H.C.P. in that his pictures of birds were taken in an area which 10 years ago was under 11,000.000 cu. mtrs of pit slag.

We have recently recorded our one hundred and second species of birds in the Park and that can’t be bad in seven years.

I would like to think Roy would call in at the visitors centre and introduce himself.  He certainly has some very nice pictures of birds from our park.

I think I'll just stick to scenery until I've had a few more lessons.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:09 on 14th July 2009
I invite you all to come have a look at our wonderland, the C S Lewis Reserve! As the BBC and the local press seem not to be interested, it's the Environmental Health Department next! Environmentalists are a complete shower of do-gooders in my opinion, who seem to care only about tadpoles, frogs, damsel flies etc. What about your children I ask?
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:26 on 27th October 2009
With more than 21 years experience in the Pest Control Industry, I started this thread back in June 2009 warning of the potential dangers of WNV at the C S Lewis Community Nature Reserve in Headington, Oxford and other UK Wildlife Trust areas. As a result of the unhindered mosquito population in the area I now have an opportunity to say 'I told you so'. In the November 09 'Pest Control News' it states that during September Swiss scientists reported that the mosquito capable of spreading the West Nile Virus had been detected in Europe for the FIRST time! The Wildlife Trust have some 47 such areas as the C S Lewis Reserve, some of which, like the one in Oxford need to be cleaned up before it's too late. As a matter of interest the Health Protection Agency says no cases of WNV were reported in the UK in 2008 but just how far away is the first case? Mosquito's are the vectors! You can read more about WNV at the HPA website www.hpa.org.uk
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:41 on 4th February 2010
So now that a group called 'Pond Conservation' have said the ponds are filthy dirty, will they listen? I have today emailed the Editor of the Oxford Mail once again with my initial report, as here on the POE thread started back in June 2009.