Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Albert Bridge - Spanning The Thames Between Chelsea and Battersea

Chelsea

in the county of Greater London

Chilham

Chilham

a Picturesque Village in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Devonshire Oilstone?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Alex Smith
Alex Smith
quotePosted at 21:31 on 29th July 2009

Hello,

I am an amateur metallurgist, and have a collection of many natural sharpening stones. In doing research on the subject I have become aware of a number of different types of hone stones that were quarried in the UK. One such stone is referred to as the Devonshire Oilstone, but I have been unable to find any further information on it. I know that the stone was quarried in the Tavistock area, was reputed to be of excellent quality, but was never widely distributed.

I would like to ask if anyone here knows anything about this particular stone, or the area where it was mined. I don't even know what the stone looked like, so if anyone could provide any additional information it would be most appreciated.

Similiarly, I would be interested in learning about any other hones/ whetstones that were quarried in the United Kingdom. If anyone could provide me with any information concerning the history of any regions that produced sharpening stones, or point me in the right direction where I could continue my own research, it would again, be much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Alex

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ray Stear
Ray Stear
quotePosted at 22:03 on 29th July 2009

Hi Alex

Welcome to the website, I'll give your topic some thought and get back to you.

Ray.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:48 on 30th July 2009
Wow, that's quite a challenge Alex! Nothing comes to mind right now but hey the POE members never cease to amaze so hang on in there. Incidentally, welcome to the website from Anna and Ron but why not do it via 'User Introductions' where you will receive a huge welcome from the members.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 13:49 on 30th July 2009
Hi Alex, welcome to poe, perhaps you are refering to a Silicon carbide called Rhodonite which is a manganese silcate, pale pink in colour and mined in Devon, England?
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 16:33 on 30th July 2009
Hi Alex, and welcome to POE! I am betting my back teeth that Paul Hilton will be able to answer your questions. He knows everything! Where are you Paul?Laughing
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 17:24 on 30th July 2009
Hi Diana and thanks for the vote of confidence ! I think it might be a form of slate that was found near Tavistock, but I think I'll be hedging my bets on that one.Smile
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 17:42 on 30th July 2009
Don't hedge too much, Paul...I need my back teeth! Tongue out
Alex Smith
Alex Smith
quotePosted at 12:22 on 31st July 2009

Thankyou very much for the replies and for the warm welcome. The Devonshire Oilstone is given a cursory mention in this article http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement/workshop/Turning-Mechanical/Hone-Slates.html but that is the sum total of the information I have.

In attempting to find out about this particular stone I came across information regarding a whetstome mined in the Blackborough area, and wanted to ask if anyone knows whether or not the Sharpening Stone industry was a  particularly prosperous business in the Devon area.

Regarding the Rhodonite, would you happen to know what grit rating these stones were equivalent too? I know that applying a specific figure to natural stones isn't an exact science, but my general interest is in high-grit final finishing/ polishing stones.

The Devonshire Oilstone has always interested me, mainly because it is seemingly so elusive, but one of the reasons for my renewed vigour in attempting to find out about this particular variety of hone is because of a correspondence between myself and an Australian gentleman on another forum. He owns a particularly fine stone, that is white in colour which he describes as feeling like marble and being the finest stone he owns, he received the stone in trade from a friend who was given the stone by an Englishman who told him it came from the South of England and was well regarded. I know that the South of England is a pretty broad term, but knowing about the supposed quality of the Devonshire hone this was my first guess, but if the Devonshire stone was a slate as Mr Hilton says I would imagine it may be darker in clour. So widening the search parameters, is anyone aware of a natural stone that fits this description coming from anywhere in the South?

Finally, I have emailed the Tavistock History Society to see if they can shed any light on the subject, if I receive a reply I will let you know what they say.

Once again thankyou for the warm reception, and your help thus far.

Kindest regards,

Alex

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 12:55 on 31st July 2009
Rhodonite  is a manganese insoilicate, one of the pyroxene group of minerals.  It has a hardness of 5.5 - 6.5 on the Mohs scale and the chemical formula of (Mn,Fe,Mg,Ca)SiO3. Rhodonite is pink with contrasting black manganese oxide inclusions.  Its name deriving from the Greek rhodon for rose. Found in many countries including Austrailia, Bolivia, Cornwall and Wales UK, China, Indonesia, Namibia, Peru, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden and the USA. It is often a sort after to be cut and polished used as a gem stone in jewellery making. It is also the official gemstone of the Commonwealth of Massachsetts, USA.
Referreces:  www.mindat.org   www.wikipedia.org
Alex Smith
Alex Smith
quotePosted at 12:21 on 1st August 2009
On 30th July 2009 17:24, Paul Hilton wrote:
Hi Diana and thanks for the vote of confidence ! I think it might be a form of slate that was found near Tavistock, but I think I'll be hedging my bets on that one.Smile

Do you know if this slate is still being quarried to make sharpening stones? Also, would you happen to know what colour the slate is/ was?

Thankyou for your input.

Kindest regards,

Alex

Please login to post to this thread...