Southbourne

in the county of Dorset

At the Spalding Flower Show.

Spalding

in the county of Lincolnshire

Across the Fleet Lagoon

Langton Herring

in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

anyone really familiar with Somerset, I have some questions!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Janine Eitniear
Janine Eitniear
quotePosted at 20:36 on 12th September 2009

Hello, I am traveling to Somerset in the spring to visit East Coker, Middle Chinook and Offerton, Stockport for genealogy purposes. I will be staying in Bath and traveling about on day trips via rail.

I am wondering if the train will take me to all these places or near enough to walk the rest of the way.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S. If you happen to have the last name of Dodge we are related! 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 08:39 on 13th September 2009
Hi Janine and welcome to POE. I have stayed in Somerset - I am not really familiar with these villages. It is doubtful the train would travel through them if they are small villages. We do have good local bus services in Britain though. It would proabably be worth your while contacting the Tourist Information in Bath prior to your visit and asking them for the local bus and train routes and timetables. They are usually very helpful. Have a great trip - Somerset is a beautiful part of the country.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:42 on 13th September 2009
Welcome to POE from Anna and Ron, Janine. Good advice from Stephanie and you'll see it won't be difficult. When you get time why not go to 'User Introductions' where you'll get the welcome from the members that you deserve. Either way, enjoy Somerset......I just know you will.
Rob Morris
Rob Morris
quotePosted at 00:56 on 22nd September 2009
Buses and trains run well from my experiences, Use Google Earth to see train stations in England using the transportation tab from the pull-down menu. Then you can go here to get your times for trains and even purchase tickets in advance http://www.thetrainline.com/default.asp?tduid=aae33244c8f0ba30a44dcfca5a14d3e0 . Good luck with your search!
Janine Eitniear
Janine Eitniear
quotePosted at 02:50 on 22nd September 2009

Thank you, Rob!

I have looked at Google Earth.

The question I have now is how do I know which line these stations are for?

Or is it just one big rail line?

David Donnelly
David Donnelly
quotePosted at 16:00 on 22nd September 2009

Hello Janine,

This is a useful site for planning rail journeys:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj/jp

Also one for coaches:

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Regards.

Rob Morris
Rob Morris
quotePosted at 22:37 on 22nd September 2009
It's basically one, with different carriers in different areas. Find where you want to go, such as East Coker, Middle Chinook , Offerton, and Stockport and then find the nearest station. Just scroll over the station icon that is nearest to your location and it will give the name of the station in Google Earth. That will be your destination. I'm sure the links David supplied are similar to the one I gave you, just put in the station you're leaving from and the destination station and it will give you times that are available to you. They run quite regularly, so you should be able to find a time that suits you. They aren't cheap, but I found them to be reasonably effecient in regards to the times listed.
 Please login to post to this thread...