Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Tower Gate House

Pembroke

in the county of Pembrokeshire

West Lulworth

West Lulworth

in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

This bridge is to be demolished!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Toby Craig
Toby Craig
quotePosted at 19:08 on 6th November 2009

Sold for a pound... surely the purchaser was robbed?Tongue out

Sorry Stephanie, but as far as historical landmarks go it's not the most prettiest of sights is it?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Kevin Tebbutt
Kevin Tebbutt
quotePosted at 22:45 on 6th November 2009
I passed the bridge today as its only 10 minutes form my house. I dont usually like local history being destroyed but do find this bridge one of the ugliest things in Leicester! 
Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 00:32 on 7th November 2009
Thats one of the reasons i love Europe is all the beautiful History because here in the states we will always tear it down and like Barbara said how many walmarts do we need !!! We have 3 super walmarts here,,crazy and i Hate them all!!!!  You would be surprised how many houses thay can build in one area it just amazes me!
Zebby42
Zebby42
quotePosted at 02:47 on 7th November 2009
On 7th November 2009 00:32, DEBBIE ADAMS wrote:
Thats one of the reasons i love Europe is all the beautiful History because here in the states we will always tear it down and like Barbara said how many walmarts do we need !!! We have 3 super walmarts here,,crazy and i Hate them all!!!!  You would be surprised how many houses thay can build in one area it just amazes me!

Yeah, Ive been away from my home town for almost 3 years now, and after going back there for a visit recently I was astounded to see how much more businesses had sprouted up while I was away. The city is virtually unrecognizable now.

Sorry to hear about the bridge however. It would be like them tearing down one of the many Civil War monuments in the part of Virginia I grew up in. I know they did tear down my original High School building, which had been there since the 1920s, but it was to rebuild it to modern day building codes and such.

Kahu
Kahu
quotePosted at 09:57 on 7th November 2009
Apart from being a local landmark ...... what special significance does this bridge have?
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 08:32 on 8th November 2009

I suppose as I live in the industrial area of the Black Country I have come to appreciate industrial architecture & heritage just as much as a pretty cottage or a country lane. Also I love bridges - all shapes and sizes! Personal taste really Toby.

I have never personally seen the bridge in question - Mark has been fighting to save it. It is important to him & I suggested he started a thread but I started it for him to help out. I understand his fight - I myself have been fighting to save Saltwells House - people have said that that doesn't have any special features to be saved either but it was build in the 1800s and it is what they will put in it's place that is the worrying part. Around here they are knocking down all the local landmarks & replacing them with faceless apartments or fast food restaurants - loads of them! They then also steal a bit of green land that is at the side & take down a few trees.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:30 on 8th November 2009
To make a car park Stephanie?
 Please login to post to this thread...