'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Pothcothan beach in April

Porthcothan

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

This bridge is to be demolished!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:21 on 6th November 2009

I have been in contact with one of our members Mark Corby who has been trying desperately to save this historic landmark in his home town. I have started a thread to make the members aware of this. More & more of our local landmarks are being sold off and British heritage is in danger!

Historic Railway bridge
Picture by mark corby

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:02 on 6th November 2009
I agree with you Stephanie, far too much of our history is just trampled over and/or demolished by the 'do-gooders' in our community, without giving thought for the past or the work involved. I have exactly the same problem here in Oxford re the C S Lewis Reserve so-called, but not to detract from your thread and that of Mark Corby, we need to kick up a fuss over this, and now! Well done for contacting Mark and setting up this thread.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 08:31 on 6th November 2009
I guess the £1 price tag is just to get the local council off the hook for insurance and maintainence bill lol! The only business to buy it would be a scrap metal company but it would cost too much to demolish it. Maybe the council hope English Heritage or some other body will fund it. I think it should be made a listed building and the council be made to keep it in good repair! (I wonder what the council would have done if it was owned privately Lol!Wink
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 13:45 on 6th November 2009
On 6th November 2009 08:02, Ron Brind wrote:
I agree with you Stephanie, far too much of our history is just trampled over and/or demolished by the 'do-gooders' in our community, without giving thought for the past or the work involved. I

Amen to that! The same thing is happening in the States as well, particularly when it comes to Civil War battlefield preservation. Walmart has just won a "battle" (read "foregone conclusion") to place one of it's stores next to a portion of the Wilderness battlefield in Virginia. I find it so offensive that these commercial giants see fit to ruin the landscapes over which so many good men, North and South, fought and died! My g-g-grandfather, who fought at the Wilderness and nearby Cold Harbor with the 3rd Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters (Army of Northern Virginia) is probably at this moment rolling in his grave!

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:6th November 2009 14:00
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 15:00 on 6th November 2009
As a Virginia resident not very far from the area of which you speak, I agree wholeheartedly with you.  I mean, honestly, don't we have enough Walmarts already?  And if we must have yet another, why not buy some vacant lot that has no historic significance or asthetic appeal on its own?  Perhaps those who fought and died in the adjacent battlefield will haunt the new store.  That would make a change. 
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 15:11 on 6th November 2009
On 6th November 2009 15:00, Barbara Shoemaker wrote:
Perhaps those who fought and died in the adjacent battlefield will haunt the new store.  That would make a change. 

Is that a Rebel yell I hear?
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 15:20 on 6th November 2009
Not necessarily!  I was born and grew up in the South, but am not a Rebel in this sense of the word.  There were "Yankees" that fought and died there too.  I just hate seeing beautiful countryside destroyed for commercial profiteering.
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 15:33 on 6th November 2009
On 6th November 2009 15:20, Barbara Shoemaker wrote:
Not necessarily!  I was born and grew up in the South, but am not a Rebel in this sense of the word.  There were "Yankees" that fought and died there too.  I just hate seeing beautiful countryside destroyed for commercial profiteering.

Actually, I was speculating on what one Walmart "associate" might be asking another at the haunted grand opening of the Wilderness store! Sorry about the misinterpretation!

I have direct paternal and maternal ancestors who fought in both the Federal and the Confederate armies.

Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 15:48 on 6th November 2009
Oh, I see what you mean!  Barbara's morning fog has lifted.  For sure, an other-worldly Rebel yell would make more of an impact!
Richard Sellers
Richard Sellers
quotePosted at 17:21 on 6th November 2009
Being from Georgia(pronounced,jo ja),i have always hated seeing history being trampled,Atlanta lost some of the most beautiful pre civil war architecture for the sake of making atlanta,,,the next 'New York", not to get off Stephanies thread,We as a whole need to save our history...