Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Eton College in Berkshire.

Eton

in the county of Berkshire

Old Market Cross, Oswaldtwistle

Oswaldtwistle

in the county of Lancashire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Possible Hung Parliament in May/June 2009?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 11:15 on 27th March 2010

Not to sure of the term 'Hang up' you mention David?

if you refer to a 'hung parliment' then a 'Hung' parliment here in the UK is when  no party has an overall majority to govern as it thinks fit. Rather like a shareholder, if he owns more than 51% of the shares of a company he can control the company, knowing he cant be outvoted on policy.

In government, if a party doesnt have the the majority number of reps (Members of Parliment, or MP's) they need to rely on some members of other parties voting with them. This may seem a good way of keeping a party in line but as you say it in many cases it leads to 'grid-lock' or stalmate, and nothing would ever get done. In the Uk we unfortunately have the House of Lords, (Privilaged, non elected members), so even if a 'bill' eventually gets through the House of Commons (Elected MP's) the Lords' could stall it, hoping that it runs out of the set time limit, or fail to pass it. You realy need a Strong government, a weak government gets no-where as little would get 'passed' internally and other world leaders would see you as weak and avoide or disrespect the country.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
JauntyJane
JauntyJane
quotePosted at 11:50 on 27th March 2010
I don't know why we are worrying about a 'hung parliament'.  If the EU has its way we will soon be governed from Brussels/Strasbourg. 
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 00:57 on 29th March 2010
On 27th March 2010 11:15, lancashirelove wrote:

Not to sure of the term 'Hang up' you mention David?

Correct me if I'm wrong, David, but what I think David means, Michael, is the congressional gridlock he describes on the previous page.  In the US we have a term called "hung jury" to describe a situation in which a jury in a jury trial case can't come to a verdict because they can't agree.  So the process stops, and often requires re-trial with a new jury.  Our congress is so disfunctional these days that they can't do anything in any sort of a timely manner.  It's disgraceful.

David Seager
David Seager
quotePosted at 02:28 on 2nd April 2010
Thanks Ruth, you are correct on all counts.  And thanks Lancashirelove, your explanation of hung parliament was quite good.  I see that I was thinking of a somewhat different but perhaps related phenomenon!
 Please login to post to this thread...