Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Cow and Calf Rocks

Ilkley

in the county of West Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Thames Valley snow, abandoned cars...

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:17 on 22nd December 2009

What a bunch of B......s!

The snow stops the drivers in their tracks because the roads were not salted in time by the local authority, the vehicles are abandoned overnight and the police later remove the vehicles from the roadside. Whats the matter with that you might ask, but because the police are now CHARGING the motorist for the removal of their vehicle, it becomes something of a farce, I reckon it could only happen in the UK.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 21:53 on 23rd December 2009

I know England doesn't get that much snow, but they still get their share of winter weather.  Aren't they prepared for it, Ron?

BTW, where in England is there a place along the roadside to pull your car off the road?  lol

Most of the roads look like this.  That was one reason we dreaded getting lost over there.  If you got on the wrong road, you might have to drive 5 or 10 miles in the wrong direction before you could find a place to turn around.  lol

Road to Wheatley
Picture by Ruth Gregory

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 22:08 on 23rd December 2009
On 23rd December 2009 21:53, Ruth Gregory wrote:

I know England doesn't get that much snow, but they still get their share of winter weather.  Aren't they prepared for it, Ron?

BTW, where in England is there a place along the roadside to pull your car off the road?  lol

Most of the roads look like this.  That was one reason we dreaded getting lost over there.  If you got on the wrong road, you might have to drive 5 or 10 miles in the wrong direction before you could find a place to turn around.  lol

And Heaven forefend if you should get behind a tractor.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 22:09 on 23rd December 2009

Been there, done that too, Sue.  lol 

Merry Christmas to you and yours. XOXO

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:02 on 23rd December 2009

And on Monday night, cars abandoned in Caversham, Reading due to  snow covered hills causing traffic to stop, were getting tickets from passing traffic wardens.  Another lady went to pick up her abandoned car to find it clamped and a £165 fine to release it; parked in a Residents Only street !  

If Dick Turpin was around today, he'd have realised there's more money to be made from clamping stagecoaches instead of holding them up; unless he holds it up in a No Waiting zone, and an accomplice then puts a ticket on it. Smile

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:23rd December 2009 23:48
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:10 on 24th December 2009
The words 'Highway Robbery' come to mind Paul. It's seriously disgraceful!
 Please login to post to this thread...