Spalding

in the county of Lincolnshire

Groombridge Station

Groombridge

in the county of East Sussex

Budle Bay, Northumberland

Budle Bay

in the county of Northumberland

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Now we are advised not to clear the snow!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:27 on 10th January 2010
Yeah, it's true. The BBC News just advised that we should not clear the snow from the pathway outside our homes (probably inside the gate also if you take accout of services being delivered) because we potentially leave ourselves open to a claim if somebody slips up. How b....y stupid is this? Years ago everybody would clear the path outside their home, each would do their bit to HELP!
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 08:52 on 10th January 2010
You can even get sued if you clear your own drive Ron - I've left mine this time as being a business I don't want to leave myself open to a claim!
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 08:53 on 10th January 2010

Actually come to mention it this is why many of the schools have remained closed

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 13:56 on 10th January 2010

That by far the most BIZARRE thing I have ever heard!!! Here as soon as the snow stops we all go out and start clearing all the sidewalks, driveways and in my development our parking lots are plowed! I can hear the plows coming at 3am!! 

Doesn't it make MORE sense to clear it rather than leave the snow, which will melt a bit then freeze over????

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 16:16 on 10th January 2010
Honestly, it's getting silly what people are allowed to sue over, isn't it? The laws should be more clearly defined and people should not be allowed to sue for certain things. Every incident should be taken on a case by case basis.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 16:44 on 10th January 2010
Oh, I'm telling my husband this. I HATE shovelling snow, and now I have a valid excuse not to  .
Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 21:24 on 10th January 2010

I shoveled the snow to clear our walkway, as we haven't developed the talent of walking safely on heavy snow or ice. I was told we now are NOT to shovel it, as we can cause more injury to others by doing so, along with the option 'others' have to sue us if they fall and injure themselves.

My solution:  I shovel the snow. If they fall, I pick them up, put them in the back garden with the rest of the deceased rodents, and get on with it.

When the 'hgherarchy' gets their minds made up once again, on this issue, I will go along with the 'new' concept they come up with but in the meantime, I will continue to shovel the snow so we can safely exit the house without breaking legs, hips, arms etc and those who do raise a fuss obout it...well....there is still room in the back garden.

Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 21:49 on 10th January 2010

Good sense of humour BetH.

Our paths are cleared and salted early mornings, which we have to pay for.

Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 14:43 on 11th January 2010

Yeah i agree its stupid!! i used to clear peoples drives for them when i was a kid! me and my mates used to go round clearing them, and people used to pay us a little or give us sweets!!  wow i could be sued now for causing someone to fall in the 70s!!!!  Surprised

Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 14:45 on 11th January 2010
Anyway i leave the snow deep now on my drive!! it makes it easier to hide the landmines!! SurprisedWink