Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Saltwood Castle - Front Gate

Hythe

a Seaside Town in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

winter blues.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Vera Howarth
Vera Howarth
quotePosted at 12:54 on 24th January 2010

There's not much to be said for the grey ,cold days of winter unless the effort is made.

There's a lot of pleasure to be gained from a winter landscape and if you go anywhere your not falling over crowds.

This winter we have made an effort to get about ,when time allows.

For New Year we stayed near Oxford for a couple of nights in a country pub.Although it was pretty isolated it was very easy to get into Oxford .We thoroughly enjoyed our day out ,the architecture and the Ashmolean.

The pub -The Dog House -was superb-very warm an friendly and the food was great,and very reasonably priced.

This week we have had a weeks holiday from work and whilst we have catched up on some R&R we hav also got out and about.

Visting-

Grange -over -Sands on Morcambe Bay,there is a mgnificent view over the bay, which is infamous for it's dangerous and shifting sands and only able to be crossed with the Queens Guide.

Hollingsworth Lake-originally built for the purposes of the mills, in 1805,it is now home to a wide variety of wildlife and wi;ldfowl.

Hebden Bridge -a very lovely old mill town ,portraying how a mill town of the industrial revoloution would have looked.

Haworth, once home to the Brontes and also has a beautiful old Britsh Railways type of station with steam trains passing through.

So don't bother about winter gloom get out and enjoy what is there.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 14:52 on 24th January 2010
Never mind about winter blues Vera, every day brings us closer to spring in beautiful England, as you suggest.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 19:51 on 24th January 2010

Nice post, Vera.  Yes, it the U.S. we call it "cabin fever." Although here where I live, we suffer from it in summer when it's too darn hot to do anything outside, even swim.  lol

If I lived over there and had my fill of damp and cold and gray winter days, I would love ot have POE as a resource to be able to plan the occasional getaway.  There is SO MUCH that makes your country so diverse and beautiful, which I never expected until I started hanging around POE.  And with that great public transportation system, you can even plan just a short day trip that can do a lot to raise your spirits.  

I really like this picture from your recent outings.  Thanks!

The platform at Haworth Railway Station

Picture by vera howarth

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:24 on 25th January 2010
Sound like you had a great time Vera. I agree - there are some great winter landscapes out there to be seen!
 Please login to post to this thread...