Dudley

in the county of West Midlands

Penshaw Monument

Penshaw

in the county of Tyne & Wear

New Forest

Lyndhurst

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Should the SAS be sent in?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:19 on 2nd February 2010

British couple Paul and Rachel Chandler have been held by Somalia pirates for months now! Isn't it time the SAS went in to secure their release? Isn't it time to show these gun toting hooligans who threaten life, indeed hold our countrymen/women hostage, that we will not tolerate their nonsense? We invade other countries, why not Somalia?

I say send in the SAS and teach the hooligans the lesson they deserve!!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 17:12 on 2nd February 2010

UMMM its time these poor captives were rescued and no doubt the SAS could do it. The problem is if it went wrong and the captives and other national captives held by these outlaws lost there lives the person who gave the order to carry out the mission would be hold in front of a public inquirey as in the Blair inquirey. You are damned if you do, you are damed if you dont.

it has always be the policy of the British government not to give in or pay hostage takers, weaker governments from other countries have done this and only encouraged more hostage taking.

I think this particular 'job' is one for private security forces to review IMO Wink

Gordon Eden
Gordon Eden
quotePosted at 19:32 on 10th February 2010
I have some sympathy for this couple but there is no getting away from the fact that with the whole of the world's oceans to sail in this couple decided to risk going into the one place in the world where they could expect trouble from pirates - why?  I cannot believe that two "experienced" sailors were not aware of the situation that could arise yet they still decided to press ahead.  I believe that they were both asleep at the time of their capture; surely they could at least have maintained some sort of alternate watch while they were in hostile waters.  Now someone else has to bale them out or risk life and limb to rescue them.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:37 on 10th February 2010

But they were minding their own business Gordon so why should they have to put up with this nonsense? I still say send in the SAS or equivalent.

If you get time to introduce yourself in 'User Introductions' Gordon you will get the usual welcome from the members of this great website and forum. Nice to have you join the family.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:07 on 25th February 2010
This story has gone very quiet, what is the Brown Government doing about it?
Gordon Eden
Gordon Eden
quotePosted at 21:36 on 28th February 2010
I hear what you say, Ron, but Somali pirates are not reasonable people.  Pirates (by definition) are not reasonable people so it is up to anyone interested in their own self preservation to look after their own interests.  This was not the first pirate raid in this area so why take even the smallest risk?
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 13:05 on 1st March 2010
i saw footage of these two people (captives) a month ago, they didnt look well, having lost wieght. There must be a reason (other than the obvious one) that they have not been released or rescued by now.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:54 on 2nd March 2010
What other reason could there be Michael?
 Please login to post to this thread...