'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Norwich Cathedral, Norwich, Norfolk (April 06)

Norwich

a Historic City in the county of Norfolk

Silent Cranes

Harwich

in the county of Essex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Manchester

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

quote | editPosted at 12:36 on 11th February 2010

Hello Everybody,

I am currently making a film about Manchester... The city and the inhabitants,...

I have just one question to ask to everybody, English or not.

What means Manchester for you? (in brief)

Thank for your patience and have a good day! See you and peaceSmile

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 13:31 on 11th February 2010

Hello Thibault, and welcome to POE.

I am afraid I've never been to Manchester so I can't help you with your inquiry, but I am sure there are many here who can. Good luck with your project!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:32 on 11th February 2010

Thibault, why not go to 'User Introductions' tell us something more about yourself. By the way, welcome to POE from Anna and Ron

And Manchester? Well they have a couple of Football Clubs to mention!

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 17:23 on 11th February 2010

What comes to mind for me immediately is Manchester Cathedral, and in particular the exquisite early 16th c. woodwork and misericord seats of the choir stalls. The misericord carvings are the product of artisans belonging to the so-called "Ripon School" workshop that was founded in the later 15th c. by William Bromflet.

Unfortunately, the cathedral is now surrounded by heavily trafficked roads, car parks and blocks of modern high-rise buildings, which greatly detract from it's charm and it's sense of reverential awe. The cathedral was severely damaged by Luftwaffe bombs during WWII, as well as a devastating IRA bomb in 1996 (3300 lbs. of explosives packed in a delivery van). Fortunately, the woodwork survived these horrors as well as the ransacking of the cathedral in 1649 by Parliamentarian troops during the Civil Wars and the very extensive restoration work carried out during the later Victorian period.

Sorry about being so long-winded--I get carried away when it comes to medieval architecture and furnishings!

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:11th February 2010 18:05
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 17:48 on 11th February 2010
Reminds me of growing up in the suburb of Ashton with steep cobbled stone roads and Victorian terraced houses. Trips on the bus to Ashton market and today, derelict buildings adjacent to modern architecture.

quote | editPosted at 18:23 on 11th February 2010

Thank very much for all your answers!

And let us carry on;) 

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 04:49 on 12th February 2010

I have only been to Manchester to go to the airport so to me it was the place I went to fly away to get married! I also picked up friends from the airport once and got totally lost on the network of roads around the airport!

Other things that come to mind when I think about Manchester are TV shows. My favourite TV show of all time is Life on Mars which was set in Manchester in the present day and 1973. Of course Coronation Street also influences the way people think of Manchester and its residents.

Good luck with your film Thibault!

JauntyJane
JauntyJane
quotePosted at 11:53 on 12th February 2010

Canal Street in Manchester is full of lively bars and although a popular haunt for the gay community is a good night out for all, provided you are open minded and do not hold any prejudices. 

Manchester United, Coronation Street and Grenada Film Studios.

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 11:33 on 13th February 2010

Manchester, England's second city, (sorry Birmingham but you miss out in our view), is set just west of the Penines, a range of hills known as the 'backbone of England'. due to its geographical location and previeling westerly wind, as the light cloud form from the sea and lowland and grow heavier, they cant get over the Penines so tend to fall as rain on Manchester.

However it doesnt rain everyday and when the sun shines Manchester can be a great place to visit. lots and lots of history and museums, exellent nightlife and central shopping or try the trafford Centre for every modern store represented.

If sport is your thing, then Manchester boasts the 'Most famous football team in the world (Manchester United) AND the RICHEST football team in the world (Manchester City) Its also the home of Lancashire cricket club, Manchester Veladrome (Olympic cycling ) and even a 'snow-dome' for ski-ing.

Manchester has seen a 'chequered' history dating from when the 'Romans' invaded. It was the 'capitol' of the cotton trade when farm labourers from all over the UK came in search of work and made a living (Also turning parts into 'slum areas I may add).

Manchester always appears to get a bad press, usualy by rival southern media who always portray the 'rougher' parts, such as smoking chimneys, cobbled streets etc (which can be found in many southern towns and cities also). Manchester was bombed heavily during the second world war but once the slum clearence of bombed out buildings was completed in the '60's the city has many areas to outstrip or equal its southern nieghbours.

It boasts an international airport, (much easier and less expensive to fly into, than Heathrow). inter-city high speed rail and road links.

It is also a University city and the leading edge technical developement area of the UK.

The music scene in Manchester can easly rival London, both modern and classical.

However, I've saved the best til last, it is of course the people, much, much friendlier than in the south and the many different cultures and diversity. If you hear of anyone phoo-phooing Manchester and havnt even been there, just gently smile and move on, we do.Wink 

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 00:51 on 14th February 2010

Hi Thibault.  Just wanted to say welcome and hello, but I've not been to Manchester, so I can't help.  But from lancashirelove's description above, it sounds like a pretty nice city.