Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Weymouth

Weymouth

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

East Bergholt garden

East Bergholt

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Manchester

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 00:53 on 14th February 2010
On 13th February 2010 11:33, lancashirelove wrote:

Manchester, England's second city, (sorry Birmingham but you miss out in our view), is set just west of the Penines, a range of hills known as the 'backbone of England'. due to its geographical location and previeling westerly wind, as the light cloud form from the sea and lowland and grow heavier, they cant get over the Penines so tend to fall as rain on Manchester.

However it doesnt rain everyday and when the sun shines Manchester can be a great place to visit. lots and lots of history and museums, exellent nightlife and central shopping or try the trafford Centre for every modern store represented.

If sport is your thing, then Manchester boasts the 'Most famous football team in the world (Manchester United) AND the RICHEST football team in the world (Manchester City) Its also the home of Lancashire cricket club, Manchester Veladrome (Olympic cycling ) and even a 'snow-dome' for ski-ing.

Manchester has seen a 'chequered' history dating from when the 'Romans' invaded. It was the 'capitol' of the cotton trade when farm labourers from all over the UK came in search of work and made a living (Also turning parts into 'slum areas I may add).

Manchester always appears to get a bad press, usualy by rival southern media who always portray the 'rougher' parts, such as smoking chimneys, cobbled streets etc (which can be found in many southern towns and cities also). Manchester was bombed heavily during the second world war but once the slum clearence of bombed out buildings was completed in the '60's the city has many areas to outstrip or equal its southern nieghbours.

It boasts an international airport, (much easier and less expensive to fly into, than Heathrow). inter-city high speed rail and road links.

It is also a University city and the leading edge technical developement area of the UK.

The music scene in Manchester can easly rival London, both modern and classical.

However, I've saved the best til last, it is of course the people, much, much friendlier than in the south and the many different cultures and diversity. If you hear of anyone phoo-phooing Manchester and havnt even been there, just gently smile and move on, we do.Wink 

I love cobbled streets, Michael.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 18:59 on 14th February 2010
terribly under rated city Ruth, its got the lot realy but snobbish it isnt (real people)
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
 Please login to post to this thread...