'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What to do for the weekend

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dee Gill
Dee Gill
quotePosted at 20:22 on 17th April 2010

Just thought I'd start a new thread about weekend getaways for the family (not too pricey though)  I know POE is all about sharing British life/culture/history/landscape etc to the rest of the world through its wonderful tour and destination ideas, pictures and forums. I want to show hubby what a typical weekend could look like in England, not just from a tourist point of view, but as if we were living there. I have not been back in almost 4 years so this would be really helpful, as we will be visiting with our kids, hopefully in the summer hols. We would be travelling from High Wycombe once were in the UK and from being on POE, I have made lists of all the places I'd like to take the family.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 20:39 on 17th April 2010

If I had a weekend free for travel, and lived close enough, I'd start in the lovely little village of Castle Combe

Castle Combe
Picture by ian aufflick

Then after a nice stroll through it's lovely streets,

Castle Combe, Wiltshire. Summer 2004
Picture by Adam Freeman

And a bit of lunch outside the local pub

Castle Combe, Wiltshire. One of our favorite villages we try to visit when we come to England

I would then head out to Bath for the afternoon.

Visit the Roman Baths (well worth the entrance fee)

Roman Baths
Picture by Cornelius Keulen

Visit the Abbey

Bath Abbey - Western aspect (main entrance) - November 2003
Picture by Stephen Atkins

Take a boat trip down the river 

The weir.
Picture by Peter Evans

Enjoy some good food and then some night entertainment

The Pulteney Bridge
Picture by Stephen Eblet

There, a weekend trip from Heaven.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:50 on 17th April 2010
Can I book to go on your next trip please Sue?  lol, Very nice tour - got anymore?
Dee Gill
Dee Gill
quotePosted at 20:58 on 17th April 2010
And my hubby wants to move back to NJ!!! Sue, what a wonderful trip, family and budget friendly too, thank you. I have already made a note of Castle combe from one of your other threads, can I add that lovely picture to my screen savers!!
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:39 on 18th April 2010

Lovely weekend plan Sue!

We are pretty central here in the West Midlands so we tend to go day trips rather than stay away for the weekend and save going away for our holidays which we always take in Britain. From High Wycombe I think the Cotswolds would be a good weekend trip or day trip place to visit - lovely Bourton-On-The-Water, Broadway, Stow-In-The-Wold all favourite places of ours. There are lots of things for the children in Bourton-On-The-Water - the car museum, model railway exhibition, model village and Birdland.

Bourton on the Water
Picture by Ian Gedge

Another favourite day trip place for us is Witley Court and the surrounding Worcestershire countryside. My boys love it there - lots of places to explore.

Sprng at Witley Court

Edited by: Stephanie Jackson at:18th April 2010 07:46
Dee Gill
Dee Gill
quotePosted at 00:30 on 19th April 2010

Thankyou stephanie, Such gorgeous places, I have jotted your trips down too. On our next trip to UK, I think we will definately do more than visit relatives!! By the way I have family in Langley- west Midalnds and handsworth woods. I think I mentioned in an earlier post, I spent a couple of years in Dudley campus for uni. degree.

oops, double-clicked somewhere, How do we delete a double post!!

Edited by: Dee Gill at:19th April 2010 00:33
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 01:26 on 19th April 2010
On 19th April 2010 00:30, Dee Gill wrote:

oops, double-clicked somewhere, How do we delete a double post!!

You can't delete your own post, Dee, so editing it out is your best bet, then one of the mods (one of which is me  ) will come and clean it up (delete) for you  .

We all double post or make mistakes, so it's not big deal. One hint though, it seems that if you refresh your page after a post, that will cause it to double post.

Please login to post to this thread...