Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Salthouse Church 2002

Salthouse

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

Clapper Bridge at Postbridge, Dartmoor, Devon

Postbridge

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Happy?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 07:14 on 7th May 2010

so, who's happy after the elections?

Is it still save to visit Britain?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:22 on 7th May 2010
Things are a bit confused this morning with talks of a Hung Parliament - but I am more than happy Patrick - I had to vote in my old constituency (didn't register the move in time)  & that swung the way I wanted it to and also so did my new constituency! It is still safe to visit - I really hope it will be safer than ever but who knows!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:17 on 7th May 2010
I'm happy about it Patrick because David Cameron will be the best of a bad bunch. I wish UKIP had done better and that we could get out of Europe, thus saving our Country £45 million a day!
Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 08:21 on 7th May 2010

Well, we've got a lot of political parties here and we mostly have three or four of them in the goverment. Try to get along in that situation!

So two parties isn't that bad at all. More to talk over for them and to worry for you

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 10:01 on 7th May 2010

Well, there you have it! A HUNG parliment.

No over whole winner. Gordon Brown will (as is his constitutional right as the sitting Primeminister) talk to the other minor parties to do a deal and form the next Government, at least for the next nine months before calling another election.

This could be a good thing for the minor parties such as the Lib Dem's could get their Proportional representation they so badly want. The Welsh and Scots Nationlists could get deals they want but could never achieve, and of course the tory cuts will be put on hold.

Perhaps Gordon Brown may resign in a couple of months and a new labour leader will be in power at the next election, which could also have proposional representation. It seems a very good time to change the way we vote which has been needed for a long long time.

The Conservative party has failed to get the majority it needed to govern and they realy should have done better considering they won a lot of 'protest' vote from people not happy with the 'war' situation, not happy that GB took over from Tony Blair or just because they didnt particuly like the way GB looks.

For those moaning about the fact that the tories gained the most seats, is it democratic that a member should win a seat by only taking 35% of the constituancy vote when 65% of the voters didnt vote for him?

A new election next year, with proposional representation will produce an accurate and fair elected government. History in the making!!

You heard it first on POE!!

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 10:06 on 7th May 2010
RON! No no need to send me that bottle of BROWN ale, have a drink on me instead,Wink but dont water it down with too many tears. lol
Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 10:27 on 7th May 2010
a little consolation perhaps, but our elections in July will be much worse.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 10:48 on 7th May 2010

A hung parliament would not harm the UK economy - and could even save it from the "lunacy" of early spending cuts, a leading economist has said.

David Blanchflower, a former member of the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee, said it was "nonsense" to suggest that markets would be hit by the predicted result.

And rather than being weak, a coalition government, if formed, could deliver fiscal stability and block "idiotic" policies that would hamper the economic recovery, the Ivy League economics professor said.

His views are in contrast with those in the City who claim a hung parliament would mean fiscal indecision and lead to action from credit rating agencies.

One market-watcher went as far as saying that the predicted result represented a "dreadful" night for the economy, as it would lead to a downgrading of the UK's triple-A bond rating and interest rate rises.

But Mr Blanchflower, economics professor at Dartmouth College in the US, hit out at such suggestions.

"It is absolute nonsense, complete nonsense. They are talking nonsense."

He continued: "I do not think there is any evidence that the market thinks a hung parliament is a bad idea. The markets have had six to eight weeks to deal with this and the gilt markets have been fine, there is no chance of the triple-A rating changing, the currency has held."

The economist added: "The market will respond to a surprise. If it was a surprise we would have seen a response from the market."

Warnings of credit rating agencies downgrading UK debt as a result of a hung parliament were unfounded, Mr Blanchflower said, noting that a majority of triple-A rated countries have coalition governments. Moreover, a coalition could prevent an "idiotic" Tory cut in 2010, he added.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:59 on 7th May 2010
It's not over yet Michael. Brown will go, you will see, just as soon as Nick Clegg does a deal with David Cameron. Brown WILL have to go!
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 09:29 on 8th May 2010
  1. Who would you be most happy to see run the country in the This web poll as at 0930hrs   07/05/2010  hung parliament?
  2. A Conservative minority government
    18%
  3. A Conservative-Lib Dem coalition
    27%
  4. A Labour-Lib Dem coalition
    32%
  5. A coalition between every party except the Tories
    10%
  6. A coalition between every party except Labour
    4%
  7. A grand coalition of all parties
    9%
27224 responses, not scientifically valid, results updated every minute.