'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Close up of Fointain at Abbey front, Stapehill

Stapehill

in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Tips on B & B in E. Sussex, Devon N. Yourshire and northumberland

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ellie Hildebrand
Ellie Hildebrand
quotePosted at 16:01 on 12th June 2010
Hi, Rob Faleer gave me a great tip on a B & B in Wiltshire, so I was wondering if anyone has a favorite B & B in E. Sussex, Devon or Cornwall, N. Yorkshire and Northumberland? I would greatly appreciate any info and yes I plan to book through this site.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 14:34 on 13th June 2010
Ellie: Have you considered renting cottages for a week at a time or short-stays of 3 days at a time? Often, this is a bit cheaper way to go than B&Bs since cottages have full kitchen facilities and allow you to eat in as opposed to spending a small fortune eating at pubs or restaurants all the time. 
Ellie Hildebrand
Ellie Hildebrand
quotePosted at 15:14 on 13th June 2010
Rob you are wealth of information! Thank you so much. Angie said to thank you for the recommendation and to say hello. I will check out cottages in Yorkshire and Cornwall. I have the south and north covered but don't really have a place in the middle. If you had to pic your favorite spot between Whiltshire and York what would it be? Thanks again, Ellie
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 15:31 on 13th June 2010

Ellie: Glad to hear that you contacted Angie--which reminds me that I have to drop her a line today. In regard to favorite places between Wiltshire and Cornwall, are you looking for just one stop or several?

I would certainly recommend spending some time in Derbyshire and the Peak District. From there, you could cross over east to Lincoln, which is a very cool place to visit with a spectacular cathedral. You could also visit Lincoln Castle very near to the cathedral to see one of the original copies of Magna Carta. From Lincoln, you could make it to York in about 2 1/2 hours. I like staying north of York near the North Yorkshire Moors National Park--Helmsley is a very nice town with a spectacular ruined castle and near to the very atmospheric ruins of Rievaulx Abbey.

Helmsley Castle Tower
Picture by Ruth Gregory

Helmsley Castle--nice shot, Ruth!

Rievaulx Abbey
Picture by Nand de Rijk

Rievaulx Abbey--a beautiful place! 

Helmsley is also close to Goathland and the nearby stretch of original Roman road on Wheeldale Moor--definitely worth a bit of a hike to visit (very atmospheric as well!).

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:13th June 2010 16:12
Ellie Hildebrand
Ellie Hildebrand
quotePosted at 22:33 on 13th June 2010
Thanks Rob, I did plan on N.York and Lincoln so I will check out Derbyshire.
 Please login to post to this thread...