'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The old Co-operative Society buildings at Ripley, Derbyshire.

Ripley

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Quango Reform

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 13:32 on 14th October 2010
I just read in the Telegraph that a large number of quangos (Quasi-Autonomous Non-Governmental Organisations) are being eliminated. Fortunately, many important arts and heritage quangos are being retained, including the British Library, the Churches Conservation Trust and the Ordnance Survey. The article goes on to state that "also saved are the list of more than a dozen museums - including The Imperial War Museum, The Natural History Museum and The British Museum - that had been under threat and faced having to charge for entry."

How do the British members of POE feel about this? 
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:46 on 14th October 2010

I am all for it Rob, glad to see the Government getting rid of the 'hangers on' and so what if we (or the tourists) had to pay for entry to the Museums?

If you go to M&S and/or any other superstore/shop wanting to buy a pair of trousers for example, you expect to hand your money over in return for the goods!

This country needs sorting out in many ways and I reckon this is just the beginning. I say more power to your elbow David Cameron!

An interesting thread Rob, be equally interesting to see what the people have to say.

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 14:21 on 14th October 2010
Ron, I agree that there are many government-subsidized agencies, both in the US and UK that really need to be eliminated. However, when it comes to funding the institutions that preserve a nation's heritage, I think that governments have an obligation to help keep those institutions in existence for the benefit of all.
The Church Conservation Trust is one UK quango near and dear to my heart since it corresponds with my research in the area of Gothic church architecture. If this Trust were cut free and left struggling for funding, I greatly fear that many historic church buildings currently at risk would fall into precipitous decline and eventual ruin--and believe me, many already have as I have personally witnessed.
I guess my take on this whole question is that if people are against government help for arts and heritage organizations, then so be it. However, those same people should not complain when many of these priceless museums, etc. have to close their doors--they have, in my opinion, forfeited their right to decry the decline of their culture. The question is always asked, "can we afford to maintain these organizations through government subsidies?" My question is, "can we, as a nation, afford not to?"
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 00:53 on 17th October 2010
I don't know about anyone else, but quango sounds like either a Latin American dance or a tropical fever . . .
 Please login to post to this thread...