Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Shepherds Tavern, Mayfair

Mayfair

in the county of Greater London

Ravenglass sunset

Ravenglass

a Seaside Town in the county of Cumbria

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

winter in England

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:08 on 9th December 2010
I understand that it was like that (at least in Yorkshire) into May!   Brrrrrrr
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
jc
jc
quotePosted at 00:17 on 14th December 2010

Good Day, Nothing like getting a cup of hot cocoa and a fire. Watching a good movie and wondering what the family is up to! I wish everyone well and enjoy a personal day!

JuJu

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 12:26 on 14th December 2010

My parents told me that 1947 was bad also, but I'm not as old as you so wouldn't remember. Lol

Lol, Ron!, it must have been cold as I was born exactly 9 months later, Mum and dad must've snuggled up real close lol!Wink 

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 13:04 on 14th December 2010
So there is something to be said for cold winters then Mike, LOLFoot in mouth
David Seager
David Seager
quotePosted at 23:17 on 22nd December 2010
Why don't Brits get a pair of real snow tires and put them away "just in case"?  Then, in a bad winter, you could put them on and go!
Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 00:27 on 23rd December 2010
David, we don't need snow tires here as often as they do in the states, and I can speak on this cuz I have in the midwest for 50 yrs before living here...and snow tires here are not generally needed here like they are there. This winter is an exception tho...but  the weather is weird all over the world. Getting snow tires and keeping them until needed , here in this country, would allow the tires to dry-rot long before they may be needed....but your idea is a good one...one worth thinking about....some down london way may actually benefit better by keeping tires ready, but even winter in scotland hasn't been as bad as it is this year....wierd weather....
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 11:34 on 23rd December 2010
UMMMMM! in defence of the unprepared, the weather worldwide has gone mad. Just what do you invest in. It seems at the moment that the gulf stream (which warms the water and the jet stream which warms the air are for some reason hitting greenland instead of the uk, keeping the cold weather from the north pole, to the west of Iceland. One of the reasons Heathrow was closed is because they didnt have enough stocks of Aircraft de-icer.
JamesM
JamesM
quotePosted at 00:20 on 2nd January 2011
I consider myself very fortunate-- made it into Heathrow on Dec. 21 with no problems, and out again ten days later with relative ease.  From the UK it was strange to watch news coverage of even worse weather back home in the States!.
 Please login to post to this thread...