Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

This England

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 07:13 on 23rd January 2011

I am sure many English members are aware of this lovely Patriotic Magazine, celebrating England's history, culture, landscape, towns & villages and people etc.  For those ex-pats and confirmed Anglophiles who may not know or have heard of this lovely magazine I will put a link on here for you to have a look at it.  It is a quarterly magazine packed with pictures, articles, poetry, anecdotes, letters and is a sheer delight.  Some of my magazines are now more than 20 years old and I can still keep going back and enjoying them over and over again.  I hope you will find them as pleasurable as I do.

The link to preview the magazine (Winter 2010) is:

http://www.thisengland.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=10677

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 11:51 on 23rd January 2011
An interesting site to visit Cathml, and a good read for those interested in our land, but Hey POE'ers, dont forget to come back and chat at POE. and veiw the lastes pics our members have submitted!
jc
jc
quotePosted at 15:51 on 23rd January 2011

Good Day, Lovely photo's I am catching up to see the 2/3 photo sites very soon, to walk around the British England. The weather is bit brisk. Enjoy at personal day!

JuJu

Graham Atkinson
Graham Atkinson
quotePosted at 22:36 on 12th February 2011

My father subscribed to This England for years, when he died 5 years back, his entire collection was about to be thrown away until I found them. They are now safely in my possession and yes, I too can go back time and again to browse through them.

They are treasured possesions,

Sherri Whetzel
Sherri Whetzel
quotePosted at 02:21 on 17th February 2011

I have gotten back on POE.  I finally am going to get to visit England.  I am planning on coming in April 2012.  I am going to use this site to get as much information as I can.  I can't wait!  It will be a life long dream come true.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 02:34 on 17th February 2011

Hi Sherri:  Lucky you!  I'm very happy for you.  Having been where you are now, I'll tell you what to expect.  1)  The next 14 months will just drag by.  2)  The time you spend over there will just fly by.  3)  This is a great place to plan your trip.  You can zero in on a place or places you'd like to see and get an up close and personal tour that the cold, impersonal travel brochures can't convey.  This is especially important if you'd like to get off the beaten touris path.

Keep coming around, and don't be afraid to ask questions of all the lovely people here.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:15 on 17th February 2011

I forgot to say, Sherri, that you can book accommodations through this site and get a discount.

Have fun planning!

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 05:18 on 17th February 2011

Hi Sherri!  How very lucky you are!  Ruth has said it all in her posts above, everything you need to know you will find on POE. How many weeks are you planning on being in England.

One word of warning - don't try to cram in too much in too short a time!

Sherri Whetzel
Sherri Whetzel
quotePosted at 22:14 on 17th February 2011
Thank you all for the information.  Yes, I am just in the planning stages and am so excited.  I plan to only stay in London for two days I definitely want to get off the beaten path.  I am thinking Yorkshire and Devon?  I have no idea how far apart those two areas are though.  I can't get a good read from the maps that I have been looking at.  Maybe I will only concentrate on one.  It is just that I want to see so much!  I am thankful for this website and will use it all of the time.  Also, I won't be shy about asking questions.  I am not a big traveler so I haven't been to a lot of places and never have I gone to a place that I want to go to as bad as I want to go to England.  I only have a week.  Leaving on a Friday night and coming back the follwoing Sunday.  I know it will fly by!
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 22:37 on 17th February 2011
Yes, I am familiar with the magazine and read it along with, The English Home, English Home and Garden, Britain, Majesty, English Seasons, Scottish Life, etc.
 Please login to post to this thread...