Mow Cop

in the county of Staffordshire

Chester Black and Whites

Chester

a Historic City in the county of Cheshire

Village sign

Thorpeness

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Family of 7 visiting England for 14+ months, location suggestions?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Joel Mcdonald
Joel Mcdonald
quotePosted at 19:35 on 29th January 2011

Thanks Dennis -

That will be a big help!!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:33 on 29th January 2011
Welcome to POE from Anna and Ron Joel...
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 18:45 on 30th January 2011

Hi there and welcome from me.

Paul is of course 'batting on his own wicket' as we say here, and why shouldnt he?  However, if you look at the latest pictures on this site of nearby Stoke Newington it may tell a different storey England has lots of diverse charming destinations and many, unlike the area described by Paul, arent overcrowded by hoards of tourists and over inflated prices. It is also untrue that contrary to what they have you believe (those who have never lived north of Watford) there is plenty of wealth in the North (after all we created it during the Industrial revolution when the south consisted of peasant farmers). I support the beautiful North West (although there are many equally beautiful areas). You will find outstanding landscapes, facinating History and the friendliest warm people in the north of the country. Housing is less expensive, as is airtravel so get off the overcrowded and some might say over-rated tourist traps and live with real Englishmen for a while, bet you'll come back!e Smile

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:57 on 30th January 2011
Joel says>>>

We'd like suggestions on locations, regions and/or counties to live in that:

- would be historic, educational, and rich in (true english) culture (without a McDonald's Burger Joint PLEASE!). Not possible.

- has reasonably priced 4 bedroom homes and such to rent (let) in an area that is relatively close to other equally culturally rich areas. Unlikely.

- isn't too far off the beaten path allowing for easy (public) transportation (bus & rail) to London or another major metro areas. Maybe.

- isn't economically distressed, but isn't terribly expensive to live in. Unlikely.

Welcome to England Joel...lol

Joel Mcdonald
Joel Mcdonald
quotePosted at 01:36 on 25th February 2011
On 29th January 2011 16:34, Beth Austin wrote:

Joel & Sharon, send me an email please and will give you info on northeast of england/ scotland borders etc but also info about schools up here, entertainment, neighbors with children same ages as yours ( both boys & girls), medical facilities, social events/ facilities, churches etc, shops( both food & clothing), local amusements, theatres, fine dining, ethnic dining, bus services, train services, boat ferries to France, Spain etc, and much more LOL.....( may consider making our home available to your family while you are here, as we may get away then for our own holidays....just a thought to consider)

I was an american many years ago  lol...Chicagoland area and hubby Dave is British..lol.....

(Hi Beth - I've also removed the email address from this post.  So if anyone would like to contact Beth please click on her name or avatar, then click on "contact" and you will be able to contact her directly via a secure link).

Hello Beth, are you still considering possibly making your home available to our family while we visit England? You indicated you 'may get away' then for your own holidays (just a thought to consider).

We're considering modifying our plans slightly. Fall semester (Sept - Dec) in England, two+ weeks training to Italy (maybe ferry to athens from Brindisi, Italy), and then Spring semester (Jan - June) in Scotland.

Still tentative based on what we find and where.

Thanks.   Joel

Edited by: Joel McDonald at:25th February 2011 02:21
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 03:44 on 25th February 2011
On 30th January 2011 18:45, lancashirelove wrote:

Hi there and welcome from me.

Paul is of course 'batting on his own wicket' as we say here, and why shouldnt he?  However, if you look at the latest pictures on this site of nearby Stoke Newington it may tell a different storey England has lots of diverse charming destinations and many, unlike the area described by Paul, arent overcrowded by hoards of tourists and over inflated prices.

My suggestion was from spending near 2 years looking at areas  in the south of England with similar requirements as asked for; Swindon has the sort of things down here I thought was being looked for. It isn't full of tourists and prices are lower than say Berkshire, a bit closer to London thus I didn't suggest any Berkshire, Oxfordshire, or Buckinghamshire towns because of their house prices. My reply had little to do with where I live as suggested above.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:25th February 2011 03:45
Joel Mcdonald
Joel Mcdonald
quotePosted at 09:05 on 3rd March 2011

Well all, thanks to those of you who've been kind enough to have made suggestions.

We've selected a smallish town called Chester, in Cheshire as our home "base". Lots of factors seemed to make this location the best for all 7 of us.

Any suggestions about things to see and do in and around Chester/Cheshire would be fun.

Thanks again.

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 10:03 on 3rd March 2011
whatever you do dont go in the roman exhibition it is one big rip off with very little to see.i paid £14 admission in january and was on the verge of asking for my money back.
 Please login to post to this thread...