Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A pub in Tintagel

Tintagel

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Family of 7 visiting England for 14+ months, location suggestions?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Joel Mcdonald
Joel Mcdonald
quotePosted at 04:21 on 29th January 2011

My wife Sharon (Canadian) and I (American) are planning an extended stay (14 months) in England with our 5 Children. Her three, girls (ages 15, 13, 9) and my two, a boy (13) and a girl (14). We're planning on the kids most likely attending local schools as appropriate and as possible. This trip is primarily for them. Sharon is a school teacher, but won't be working. I'm a journalist/photographer and will only be doing freelance for Stateside outlets.

We'd like suggestions on locations, regions and/or counties to live in that:

- would be historic, educational, and rich in (true english) culture (without a McDonald's Burger Joint PLEASE!).

- has reasonably priced 4 bedroom homes and such to rent (let) in an area that is relatively close to other equally culturally rich areas.

- isn't too far off the beaten path allowing for easy (public) transportation (bus & rail) to London or another major metro areas.

- isn't economically distressed, but isn't terribly expensive to live in. 

We're looking at August for our move.

Thanks for any suggestions. Joel

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 06:40 on 29th January 2011
Hi Joel, Sharon & family, a very warm welcome to the POE site.  What an adventure and education for your children!  You have picked the best site on the net to get great information from the members. 
Joel Mcdonald
Joel Mcdonald
quotePosted at 06:52 on 29th January 2011
Thanks Cathy. Hoping so. Found you all quite by accident. Just googled and there you were!
SarahPremier Member - Click for more info
Sarah
quotePosted at 13:32 on 29th January 2011
Hi Joel & family, welcome to POE Smile
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 13:58 on 29th January 2011

Joel did you read the information in this Forum (link below)?

http://www.picturesofengland.com/forum/Plan_Your_Trip_To_England

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:46 on 29th January 2011

Off the top of my head for locations that might be suitable, I think in the south, Swindon, Wiltshire might be an option to meet your requirements. 

On mainline station ( First Great Western) from Paddington, London to West Country/Wales, and the M4 motorway doing similar is also nearby. Thamesdown Transport and Stagecoach have extensive routes in the region. 4 bed houses to rent seem to be around the £800-£1,000 per month mark.

Within a 60 minute radius drive of Swindon, it's surprising what there is to visit/see, or in London by train.For example, Bath, Bristol, Oxford, the Cotswolds region, Avebury, Marlborough, Salisbury, Somerset, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, partly into Berkshire; say Windsor. And of course, Wiltshire itself as you're in it already which is full of lovely villages; Lacock and Castle Coombe two notable ones amongst many. To the north, there's Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire itself.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:29th January 2011 14:50
Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 16:34 on 29th January 2011

Joel & Sharon, send me an email please and will give you info on northeast of england/ scotland borders etc but also info about schools up here, entertainment, neighbors with children same ages as yours ( both boys & girls), medical facilities, social events/ facilities, churches etc, shops( both food & clothing), local amusements, theatres, fine dining, ethnic dining, bus services, train services, boat ferries to France, Spain etc, and much more LOL.....( may consider making our home available to your family while you are here, as we may get away then for our own holidays....just a thought to consider)

I was an american many years ago  lol...Chicagoland area and hubby Dave is British..lol.....

(Hi Beth - I've also removed the email address from this post.  So if anyone would like to contact Beth please click on her name or avatar, then click on "contact" and you will be able to contact her directly via a secure link).

Edited by: cathyml at:30th January 2011 18:53
Joel Mcdonald
Joel Mcdonald
quotePosted at 17:13 on 29th January 2011

Hello Sarah, thanks for the welcome. Very Nice web site.

Hi Paul, you make that region sound wonderful. Will look into that area for sure.

Thanks Beth, that is an extremely kind and generous offer if in fact it comes to pass. Would love to chat more about the options. jrmcdonald00@yahoo.com

Hiya Cathy, I did notice the Forum, but thought I'd post my question first since Sharon's & my circumstances are a bit different (5 children).

Thank you all so far.

Joel Mcdonald
Joel Mcdonald
quotePosted at 17:18 on 29th January 2011
I may relocate this thread to that forum (  http://www.picturesofengland.com/forum/Plan_Your_Trip_To_England) instead as it seems much more specific. Thanks, Cathy
Dennis Bailey
Dennis Bailey
quotePosted at 19:18 on 29th January 2011

This is what you need. It covers crime rates, school success rates, property values, average wages for a selected area, and council taxes. The infomation will help stear you away from any problomatic areas.

http://www.upmystreet.com/