Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

John Betjemen, St. Pancras Station

St Pancras

in the county of Greater London

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Where should I live?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Cait226
Cait226
quotePosted at 18:58 on 4th April 2011

Hi there everyone.

I was born and raised in Texas, USA and I'm looking to move to beautiful England. However, I do not know much about England and would like y'alls opinion on where I should move to.

I'd love to find a city or town that is not overrun with tourists. Also one with fairly reasonable housing prices.

I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have.

Thank's so much! :)

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:35 on 4th April 2011

Hi Caitlyn, a very warm welcome to the POE site.  I think you might be asking a very difficult question there!

I would suggest that you look at the cities, towns and even villages on POE and read all about them.  The easiest way would probably be to go County by County to start with to get an idea of the general area that would appeal to you.

Good luck with the hunting

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 21:29 on 4th April 2011

Hi Caitlyn, and welcome to POE. Lucky you to be moving to England! I envy you. :-)

Well, I personally love the Yorkshire country side and although the city of York itself is a bustling tourist area (and very worth a visit), I am sure you can find some quiet little villages and towns in the Dales.

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:37 on 4th April 2011
caitlyn--try lancashire its well worth a visit up here your bread is buttered    both side'sSmile give it a try.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:59 on 4th April 2011

He's at it again! LOL

Hi Caitlyn, welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. To be honest I don't think you'll have much chance of finding your suggested place in England without the tourists and a reasonably priced house. If you do, perhaps you could let us know also...

I suspect England is very different to Texas.

Cait226
Cait226
quotePosted at 22:23 on 4th April 2011
On 4th April 2011 21:59, Ron Brind wrote:

He's at it again! LOL

Hi Caitlyn, welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. To be honest I don't think you'll have much chance of finding your suggested place in England without the tourists and a reasonably priced house. If you do, perhaps you could let us know also...

I suspect England is very different to Texas.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Anna and Ron, I know I won't be able to find somewhere where there are NO tourists, but I want to avoid tourist resorts or key tourist areas. I also suspect that England is very different to Texas, but that is one of the things I am most excited about. :)

Luckily I have some time to do some research and take in everyone's suggestions, as I don't plan on moving for at least a year.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:27 on 4th April 2011
POE will be a tremendous help then Caitlyn! Why not try typing the name of a village, town or city into the search box (top left of page) and see what you come up with?
Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 11:09 on 5th April 2011
Hello caitlyn, welcome to POE.  I suggest you look at Yorkshire, either the Wolds or the moors, both are wonderful and are so big that i'm sure you could find a quiet place, and the people are so friendly, i'm biased as my Dad is a Yorkshireman.    I would move there tomorrow if I didn't have work commitments.  In the meantime have fun browsing through POE there are some wonderful places to visit.
Miranda List
Miranda List
quotePosted at 06:31 on 16th May 2011
Hello) What do you think about Bristol?
Bob T
Bob T
quotePosted at 11:28 on 18th May 2011

When I lived in England I was in Newbury, Berks. Beautiful area, nicely situated. You could also look at Hungerford. Farther out, Marlborough is a beautiful town.

Cheers,

Bob