Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Thaxted

Thaxted

in the county of Essex

Town bridge, Christchurch, Dorset

Christchurch

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

The Church of St James in the village of Swarkestone, Derbyshire.

Swarkestone

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

New Pylon Design..what do you think

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 13:32 on 14th October 2011

We are to have new design Electricty Pylons..after a competition run by the National Grid. 

The winners are a Danish design team, that have come up with a 'T' design, looks a bit like a big steel telegraph pole.

There are 88 thousand Pylons in the country, they were designed in the  20s , love them or hate them I think the countryside will look terrible with a mish mash of different designs as well as the awful wind turbines on every available hill and coastline...What do you think

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Andrew Marks
Andrew Marks
quotePosted at 13:39 on 14th October 2011

Can't be any worse than the ugly monstrosities we have to put up with at the moment surely?

Andy

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:44 on 15th October 2011

Wished I'd thought of the idea and got it accepted Karen no matter what they look like! lol

In reality, I suppose we have to have something don't we?

How else could we transport the lekky? Food for thought...

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 01:15 on 15th January 2012

The classic lattice electricity pylon has stood the test of time and is a very effective design based on sound engineering principles. I would go as far to say it has a certain stark beauty. I don't think the 'T' structure is more elegant and is probably weaker structurally than the existing design. Although it is technically possible to use buried cables, the cost is prohibitive. We demand more power for the ever-increasing variety of domestic gadgets, so I guess we have ourselves to blame if we think pylons spoil the view. Maybe we should go back to oil lamps and plate cameras if we don't like pylons !   

Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 21:00 on 17th January 2012
I agree with you Edward, I like the design of the old pylons, very art deco..
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:15 on 17th January 2012
Yeah, they are rather a classic design. How do you feel about the wind turbines.Personally I think one on it's own can look very dramatic. A bit War of the Worlds-ish. Daunting and threatening but certainly photogenic if you can get close enough
Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 21:24 on 17th January 2012

They are a blot on the landscape and they kill bats!!!

We were on our way north and before the Humber Bridge (I think) there are about 14 turbines, a windy day and not one was turning,why?

They are not efficient and before they start to pay for themselves they will need thousands spent on them to upgrade,repair and maintain, as far as i can tell it just a tick in a box to say that the country is doing something towards being environmentally friendly, it's ********, it's like planting a tree to offset air travel... and did you know that the energy saving light bulbs contain mercury, and can not be put in the normal bin, but have to be responsibly recycled, but as yet no one in the country has quite figured out how to dispose of them safely, how dumb is that?

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:35 on 17th January 2012
I'm not saying I like them, in fact I agree with you and what is more most of them will not pay for themselves in our lifetime I believe, so in that respect what is the point. By the time they start earning their keep the world will a far different place from what we know it today. Ice age or hot age, I don't know, but something is heading our way . . . .
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:41 on 17th January 2012

I can't see it myself, maybe because it's only an energy saving lightbulb !!! They are hopeless and as Karen says a disposal nightmare.

Pylons, if we do have to have them ( which I suppose we do) then stick we the old and trusted, why mess with what has served so well for so long.

windy farms, well all arguments aside- for years they meant I had arrived west of the Tamar, a sign I had got back to Cornwall.  If I am correct the first windfarm has already done it's time and closed down. 

Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 21:45 on 17th January 2012

We cannot blame governments or any one country, unfortunately as soon as man arrived, the planet was doomed... we are all to blame.

It doesn't matter what we do now, I think  the damage is irreversible,  but I still recycle, and try to use less energy (I sleep longer and sit down at regular intervals) but whatever we do it will be a drop in the polluted ocean