Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Poetry 2

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 05:14 on 9th May 2009
On 8th May 2009 09:23, Harry E Wheeler wrote:

My own poem on the rose would, I believe, be appropriate here, since it is Mother's Day on Sunday:

A Rose for Mother (Acrostic)

A gift from God

Radiant and delicate
Of all things
So often given
Evoking joy

Flower of remembrance
Object of elegance
Radiant and exquisite

Mystical promises
Of things of beauty.
To let you know
How much we owe
Ever eternal. You are the
Rose

Then there is Margaret Artwood... (1939-) Who (I believe) said, and I quote, "All Literature, Like Music, is Oral Nature". See also her, 'Rape Fantasies' as an example of modern feminine expression.  A subject no male, I would suggest, would consider.

As for your Pagan Britain, Ceridwyn, I shall be checking out your Link.  Meanwhile may I suggest two books which will interest you, namely, 'The Real Middle Earth - Magic and Mystery in the Dark Ages', by Professor Brian Bates, and 'Montaillou - Cathars and Catholics in a French Village' - the world famous. portrait of life in a medieval village. 

Harry, I remember vividly when you posted this poem on the first Poetry thread.  It was my birthday, although you didn't know that.  And it was late here, and the poem just took my breath away for a moment.  I was having one of the self-pity moments at the time, and missing my boy.  Since he's been gone, my birthday isn't all that fun because I alway have that ugly little thought come into my head that says look how many I'm racking up when he only had 16.  And it was at that very moment that I opened the thread and this poem was there.  It was like a sign to me - a rose from my boy for my birthday.  And it was all because of you and your wonderful poem.  Thank you, Harry!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Xxxx Xxxx
Xxxx Xxxx
quotePosted at 17:38 on 10th May 2009

beside the Euphrates

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We waited beside the Euphrates

for billowing love~

on a warm wind these Cottonwoods

fly their pennants and floss so bright

night has come and on the wind

I dream of your rivers~

striped oars, shining bows

Easy goes the Euphrates

so softly, softly, softly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by: Ceridwyn at:10th May 2009 17:44

quote | editPosted at 11:00 on 13th May 2009
It is so saddening that the region of the lower Eurphrates, which  once was the romantic core of the Mid East, now encompasses notions of destruction by  those in power.
Harry E Wheeler
Harry E Wheeler
quotePosted at 11:07 on 13th May 2009

Thank you, Ruth for your response to my poem, A Rose for Mother.  I'm pleased it served to give you some small comfort, both recently and when I first posted it.

Regards,

Harry 

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 13:46 on 13th May 2009
Some how I missed that one Harry; so thank you Ruth for reposting it. It is truely lovely. Smile
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:33 on 14th May 2009

Hi Harry - Hi Diana:

Yes, that was one of the moments that really "connected" me to this website.

Xxxx Xxxx
Xxxx Xxxx
quotePosted at 02:41 on 15th May 2009
On 13th May 2009 11:00, unknown wrote:
It is so saddening that the region of the lower Eurphrates, which  once was the romantic core of the Mid East, now encompasses notions of destruction by those in power.
under an apricot tree.................poetry whispered
Harry E Wheeler
Harry E Wheeler
quotePosted at 11:10 on 15th May 2009
On 15th May 2009 02:41, Ceridwyn wrote:
On 13th May 2009 11:00, unknown wrote:
It is so saddening that the region of the lower Eurphrates, which  once was the romantic core of the Mid East, now encompasses notions of destruction by those in power.

I am the author of these words...it is a sentiment - one of many in this vein - which I adhere to.

Harry

p.s.

Ah! that I could match the Book of Kings and its 60,000 couplets, written in the 9th. century (?) by Firdausi ... 

Xxxx Xxxx
Xxxx Xxxx
quotePosted at 21:54 on 15th May 2009

Ah.. the scent of Night Blooming Jasmine, rustle of ghost gum leaves~~read to me of

Zariadres and Odatis~~~~~~~

http://ambarts.tripod.com/files/odatis.htm

Harry E Wheeler
Harry E Wheeler
quotePosted at 13:14 on 17th May 2009

On the theme of Jasmine and such ... this is a repeat of my poem from another time :

Nightingale’s Song Fragrant jasmine flowering overheadIts tendrils in wicker arch entwinedI sit and watch as rounded moon ascendsFrom beyond shadows of the western hillsBusy insect wings tremble in its waxing  And frenetic June-bug rattles on the pane. The evening breeze disturbs lilac branchesThat abrades the overhanging eavesWhere last summer’s busy swallowsNested and fed irksome gaping youngYet now, as each gentle breath caresses It comforts my hesitant browTwilight drapes over distant Cathedral towers     Spires rise above the trees as maiden twinsElegantly adorned in mist’s own fashionAloof, they stand prevailing in French laceHushed mantra of solemn parishionersDrifts soulful, on the zephyr’s gentle wingsThen comes to me the sound of musicFrom where soft grey heavens meet the earthTo its zenith, the moon now reachesIn full bloom it augments its glowThe world rests still in silent slumberAs lone nightingale entertains with its song