Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Ross-on-Wye viewed from Vaga Crescent.

Ross-on-Wye

in the county of Herefordshire

A View of Snowdonia

Llanberis

in the county of Gwynedd

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Does anyone still drive for pleasure?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 09:54 on 24th March 2008
In these times of £60.00 fines for blowing your nose whilst driving (I made that up, but I'm sure you know what I mean), I find it difficult to get as much pleasure out of driving as I used to not so many years ago. Sure, there are some beautiful roads left in this country, with views unsurpassed anywhere in the world, but they seem to be getting rarer and rarer and all the time they're getting busier and busier. I'm a same day courier, white van man if you like, but I'm old enough, experienced enough and wise enough to know that arriving 10 minutes late is far more pleasant than arriving 30 years too early for something else, if you get my drift. I travel all over the country and through neccessity rather than choice I am virtually forced to use our laughable motorway system. These roads were designed to get us all to our destinations faster, in more comfort and more safely, so what in the world went wrong? Every day, yes, every single day, I come across a large number of 'drivers' hogging the middle lane at 65mph, forcing me and any other drivers who actually remember the Highway code to move across from the 'lane that mustn't be used by anything other than wagons' to the outside lane and then back across TWO lanes to the nearside lane. I haven't got the facts and figures but my guess is that accidents on motorways are largely caused by vehicles meeting each other in the middle (or blinkered as I shall refer to it) lane. I only think this because for the love of me I can't understand why vehicles collide on a wholloping great road the width of Heathrows' runway. It stands to reason that when someone blocks the blinkered lane for 27 miles and everyone else has to perform pirhouettes around them something untoward will happen.  So why does this go on? I heard, obviously wrongly, that the police took a very serious stance about this, but it doesn't seem to be happening. With all the spy cameras on the network, you'd think these silly drivers, to put it very politely, would be brought to book, but not so. I'm aiming this discussion at motorways, and motorway users, basically because of the promises of easy and safe travel that we were given by each government that was in office when they were built. When I travel to London, I have to add 30 minutes minimum to my journey because of the roadworks on the M1 around Luton....it's laughable.The works at the M1/M18 interchange have only recently been completed after YEARS of inconvenience and accidents. Why cause chaos for 7 miles ripping up the main route from Yorkshire to London when they could do it one mile at a time.....completing the works then moving to the next segment. And if you really want to make your journey pleasant, for goodness sake don't use the services on the motorways....unless money means nothing to you. Next time you do foolishly use them, read the parking rules...it could save you £350. So do you really drive for pleasure, or just because you have to?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 11:31 on 24th March 2008

I drive for pleasure, once a year. I go to Cornwall, on my own, for a photo holiday. I used to really enjoy driving, but not so much now. Ever been stuck behind someone doing 20 mph in a 50 mph road? And no way of getting past them. That happened to me once, 25 miles of crawling at the front end of a traffic jam.

I use A roads wherever possible, much better views. But I wont be driving for much longer think I will let the wife do it. My health will put a stop to it anyway, and my solo trips to Cornwall. You are on the mark there about the idiots on the road though. There dont seem to be a middle road, so to speak. They either drive at 100 mph, or 25 mph never mind what the speed limit is.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:53 on 24th March 2008

It obviously took a while to write that Andy, and so I feel I am cheating you with my simple answer.....My sentiments exactly! Driving, like so many other things in this country has gone to the dogs!  As for the fines inposed on us ordinary working class people, well its beyond belief. I firmly believe they only target the 'easy catch', the middle of the road (no pun intended) punters who struggle anyway, and then struggle some more when the fine has to be paid. Driving today is no fun!

And Peter, well you never know perhaps we could have a holiday in Cornwall together. Let the girls do the driving, cooking, cleaning, fetch the beer, turn the tv on, hold our umbrella's when it rains....you know what I mean? 

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 12:56 on 24th March 2008
Chance would be  fine thing there Ron. The wife enjoys driving, but boy, you want to see road rage? get in the car with my wife. When she sees the idiots, she lets them know it. Maybe they cant hear it, but I can. lol
L
L
quotePosted at 15:43 on 24th March 2008
I would love to drive for pleasure, I love driving but thanks to Gordon Brown etc it sort of limits it to necessary travel, like going to work and shopping....oh bring back petrol at 7/6d a gallon i say LOL
 Please login to post to this thread...