Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Peace Lilies

Cardiff

in the county of Glamorgan

Arundel Cathedral, Arundel, Sussex

Arundel

in the county of West Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Castles open for a visit?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Cor Faber
Cor Faber
quotePosted at 10:51 on 11th August 2008

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to England and Wales next year and I would like to make it a sort of castle-trip.

Now it would be nice not just to see the outside of the castles but have a tour inside its walls as well.

I think this is a great site to plan a trip but I don't seem to be able to find out which castles are open to the public and which ar not.

Still, this information might actually be there, not being able to find doesn't mean it's not there.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks for your reply.

Cor

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 11:06 on 11th August 2008
I think the best castle I've ever visited is Warwick Castle. It seems to have everything you'd expect from a castle and what might be found therein.But Cor, you'll have loads to choose from and I'd expect English Heritage might be of use as well to you from the castles you'll see on here that might be one of theirs, such as Bodiam Castle in Sussex which looks just like a castle is pre-supposed to look like.
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 11:42 on 11th August 2008
Hi Cor, welcome to POE. I think most castles are open to the public. I have been to quite a few and not found any closed yet. There are lots in Wales, England and Scotland. As Paul said, English Heritage would be a good place to start looking for information. Good luck with your trip and dont forget to come visit us in the forums for a chat.
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 12:56 on 11th August 2008
Hi Cor, welcome to the site. As everyone else said English Heritage is a good place to start - personally I love Goodrich Castle, Powis Castle and Kenilworth Castle although Powis is more like a house than a castle in some ways. National Trust also has some castles.
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 13:52 on 11th August 2008
Hi cor, Warwick castle is very nice, gets extremely busy though, but worth a visit, but you really are spoilt for choice!! there is so many.  Wales has loads, Conwy castle is worth a visit.Smile
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 16:19 on 11th August 2008

Hi Cor, I don't think I've seen you on the forum before so let me welcome you now.  When I was in England I thoroughly enjoyed Leeds Castle.  Beautiful inside and out.  The inside is presented much as it would have been when it was a home. Enjoy your trip and POE!

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 16:31 on 11th August 2008

Here is a site I use for trips to Wales.

http://www.castlewales.com/

Cor Faber
Cor Faber
quotePosted at 20:13 on 12th August 2008

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies, it realy does make me feel welcome.

There's some usefull suggestions there, I'm sure there's something there for me.

I have been to the UK before but just the south (Bournemout, Weymouth) and to Scotland (Edinburough, Kirkwall) and somehow I figured that I would like to see more of England and Wales, that's why I'm planning the trip.

Lot's of time to do so since it is going to happen only next year.

So keep them coming those suggestions.

Thanks again and I'll look around a bit more on this forum so maybe we'll meet IV (In Virtual) and, who knows, maybe sometime ITF (In The Flesh :).

Cheers, Cor

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:18 on 12th August 2008

Welcome to POE from me too Cor. A brilliant website and forum where we can jump from serious to silly in two easy steps! I'm normally serious, Peter is normally silly!

Cor Faber
Cor Faber
quotePosted at 20:30 on 12th August 2008

Since you all seem to have your picture uploaded I thought I'd a sport and put my picture here too. But I only seem to be able to do that if I relate it to a location or attraction. As far as I can tell they're all things in the UK and I am not there at the moment ;(

Or am I missing something?