Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

All Saints Church, Penshaw, County Durham

Penshaw

in the county of Tyne & Wear

Nice house in Eye

Eye

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

If you could have any occupation

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 16:03 on 4th November 2008
On 4th November 2008 15:55, Lyn Greenaway wrote:
My neice, who's 38 is in her 3rd year of training to be a vet, she has to go to slaughter houses to make sure the animals are not cruely treated. She's a vegitarian also and doesn't like going there but its all part of the job. She's had to spend time working with zoo animals too, and I admire her for all the hard work it takes. Becoming a vet is so much harder than becoming a doctor, after all there's so many different species you have to learn about, unlike the human being, we're all the same. As for me, well I've been quite happy doing the work I have since I left school, and like Lorraine said, when I left school you weren't encouraged to do anything as you were a female and expected to bring up a family. So it was either office work or shop work.
See that give me hope!  Your neice is just a year younger than me and is going for her dream!  Maybe I could do it too!
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 16:05 on 4th November 2008
On 4th November 2008 15:56, Sue H wrote:

When I was younger I had NO Idea what wonderful opportunities lay out there for me. Like Lorraine said, there really wasn't much in the way of career guidance in the schools when we were young, and what there was seemed to be aimed at the boys.

I grew up in the era of 'woman have the babies and stay at  home' which is of course what I did and certainly don't regret, but if only I'd have known what was available.

So saying all that, I would love to have worked in some kind of historical field, I love history.

If I moved to England after the kids are flown and settled I would love to be a tour guide of some kind, work in an abbey or monastery setting. I'd be a tour guide on a bus around Oxford, that would be fun.

And if my wildest dreams came true, I'd work for the BBC and they would send me around Great Britain doing programs like COAST of Nature of Britain.

The history thing is great isn't it!!  There are so many things to do in the field!!
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 16:07 on 4th November 2008
On 4th November 2008 16:00, Lyn Brant wrote:

Landscape photographer or historian would be my dream occupations, more realistically, I did always want to be a midwife but always seemed to be busy having my own children to learn how to deliver other peoples, shame really as there can’t be many jobs as satisfying as helping to bring a new life into the world.

My youngest sister worked with a midwife during her last year of high school!! The midwife has written books on the subject and has produced a movie for HBO which my sister was involved in!  I wonder if my sis will enter that occupation!
Anna Kuznetsova
Anna Kuznetsova
quotePosted at 16:07 on 4th November 2008
On 4th November 2008 16:00, Lyn Brant wrote:

Landscape photographer or historian would be my dream occupations, more realistically, I did always want to be a midwife but always seemed to be busy having my own children to learn how to deliver other peoples, shame really as there can’t be many jobs as satisfying as helping to bring a new life into the world.

I'd like to be a photographer too! I adore taking photos of landscapes and architecture! Smile

quote | editPosted at 16:09 on 4th November 2008
On 4th November 2008 16:03, Krissy wrote:
On 4th November 2008 15:55, Lyn Greenaway wrote:
My neice, who's 38 is in her 3rd year of training to be a vet, she has to go to slaughter houses to make sure the animals are not cruely treated. She's a vegitarian also and doesn't like going there but its all part of the job. She's had to spend time working with zoo animals too, and I admire her for all the hard work it takes. Becoming a vet is so much harder than becoming a doctor, after all there's so many different species you have to learn about, unlike the human being, we're all the same. As for me, well I've been quite happy doing the work I have since I left school, and like Lorraine said, when I left school you weren't encouraged to do anything as you were a female and expected to bring up a family. So it was either office work or shop work.
See that give me hope!  Your neice is just a year younger than me and is going for her dream!  Maybe I could do it too!

You could Krissy my friend is 45 and in her first year at Leeds University training to be an occupational therapist, she gave up a really good, very well paid job in London and has totally changed her life, very brave I think as the unknown is scary.

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 16:11 on 4th November 2008
I think I just need to pick something and just do it!! I keep moaning about things but never do anything to change it!! It's time to jump in with both feet!!!
Lorraine
Lorraine
quotePosted at 16:23 on 4th November 2008
I wanted to join the Queen Alexandra's Royal Army  Nursing Corps but they said I wasn't tall enough!!
Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 16:33 on 4th November 2008

Krissy, go to the college and take the test they have to see what occupation your personality would work best with. They usually come up with several ideas that you might not have thought of.

My first goal was always to just be a good mom and wife. My other goal was to be a surgeon. It fascinates me how the human body works. Now that I have to go back to work I am thinking of maybe a surgical technician. They make a decent salary and I would get to be in the operating room.

Something else I wanted to do foe=r fun was to learn to drive everything from a motorcycle to an 18 wheeler. I have my motorcycle license now I need to work on the 18 wheeler!

Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 16:36 on 4th November 2008
Oh maybe a taster at Cadburys would be good!!  (chocolate company!) Laughing
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 16:37 on 4th November 2008

18 wheeler Cathy!!!???!!  Wow!!  Just don't plow me over on the road!!

Jason...hmmm...that would be good!!