Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A CORNISH PASTY NOW MEANS A CORNISH PASTY!!!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:26 on 24th February 2011
PastyPlate
Picture by Vince Hawthorn

The Cornish Pasty has now been given protected status by the EU (the only sensible thing so far I think). This means only a pasty made in Cornwall to a tracitional recipe can now claim to be a Cornish Pasty. The Pasty must have pastry, potato,onion,swede,light seasoning and of course chuck steak or sometimes mince. The shape should be a "D" shape and crimped on the side NEVER along the top! The Pasty has to be prepared in Cornwall but can be baked outside the Duchy after refridgerated or frozen transport to any location outside Cornwall. Look out for a special logo to show authenticity ( I have not yet seen what form this will take yet). Other items with EU protected status incude:-

Cornish clotted cream

Cornish sardines

Jersey royal potatoes

Melton Mobray pork pie

Arbroath smokies

Oh and by the way if you find any carrot, throw it away as it is not the real deal!!

Enjoy your Coust/Crib

Kernow Bys Vyken

Fly the flag, eat a pasty!
Picture by Vince Hawthorn

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:29 on 24th February 2011
had a few nice pasties when i was in cornwall 2 yrs ago vincewas the shop  rowes and hoggies or something like that?Laughing
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:37 on 24th February 2011

Hi James,        Rowe's is one of Cornwalls main bakers

OGGY OGGY OGGY OI OI OI

That is a Cornish chant often heard at cornish rugby matches but an oggy is often used as slang for a pasty.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:42 on 24th February 2011
Wait until it grows hair and has a full set of teeth Vince you won't want to protect it then. More likely the local pest control officer will be setting traps for it! lol
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:44 on 24th February 2011
any information on the name  "cockwell  " from down there vince.??
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:53 on 24th February 2011
            The only ref. to Cockwell that I am aware of is a firm of boat builders based in Mylor Creek which is in Carrick roads north of Falmouth.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 23:04 on 24th February 2011
thats the one i seen when i was down there ---my daughters fellow is a descendant from south wales.i mentioned it to his father who reckons they are relatives from way back.
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:06 on 24th February 2011
         If you google cockwell James most references are from areas of Wales.
TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 11:51 on 26th February 2011
I love a good Cornish Pasty. Can't resist them. Any authentic recipy or some tips, Vince
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:28 on 26th February 2011
          Hi Ted, there are many individual touches that people put to their own pasties, but I would not attempt to copy a real Cornish Pasty. I leave it to the experts and savour the real deal.In Cornwall lots of local bakers have got it just right, e.g. Rowe's as James said, Penzance Pasty Co., Warrens, and lots more smaller outlets. One such baker that comes to mind if you get that far is in the village of Lizard, "Annie's Pasty Shop". It is a private house with the garage converted and extended into a bakery and shop well worth searching out!!! Outside Cornwall look for "West Cornwall Pasty Co. Ltd" These are made in Cornwall, shipped to their outlets and baked prior to going on sale, fresh and superb.PROPER JOB. www.westcornwallpasty.co.uk .